Searching...

Mobile Products & Network

Highlighted

iPhone 8 $59 Plan / iPhone 8 Plus $64 Plan 20GB Live Chat Scam ??

j888
I've been trying to buy the iPhone 8 on the $59 Christmas plan for a while now, but after being locked out of my own account by Optus, which took a week to rectify - I missed buying it. I've tried to live chat with multiple sales staff about when it will be restocked but have been told they have no idea as to the date.I haven't been offered a spot on the waiting list like other posters on this forum, but instead am continually being sold the iPhone 8 Plus $59 plan 20GB but with a $5 handset charge (so $64). These sales staff have told me that it is conditional on receiving a new number with the purchase. However, this seems pretty suspicious to me as this deal is not listed nor offered on the Optus website. I asked multiple live chat operators for documentation of this deal but was told it was an "online offer only" and that they couldn't send me anything. Eventually I received a critical information summary but I am still wary of this deal. How would I purchase this phone without it being listed on the website? Has anyone else heard about this deal? Can anyone from Optus confirm whether this is real and when it will be posted to the website? Thanks.

Re: iPhone 8 $59 Plan / iPhone 8 Plus $64 Plan 20GB Live Chat Scam ??

Mark001

I just found your post and I think you may be correct, I also applied for this iPhone. I was rejected due to a 'credit history check'. I got a free copy of my credit history and there are no defaults on the credit history and nothing negative in its contents. Seems other have mentioned that Optus may be trying to collect data by getting personal details from people. I am really disappointed in how Optus handles this and have read other making similar compaints regarding Optus credit check results make no sense. If I was told why I failed the credit check, atleast I could follow this up.

Paddylee

Hello,

In regards to credit checks - unfortunately their is not a single report, numerous "credit reporting agencies" have different results.

Some may have inforamtion that the other does not etc.

The 3 main ones are listed here - and info on how to contact them.

https://www.oaic.gov.au/individuals/faqs-for-individuals/credit-reporting/accessing-your-credit-repo...

Paddylee

@j888

The deal was removed a few days ago for the iPhone 8 range as they ran out of available stock.

Applied for online only - with a new service - re-contracting an existing service not included.

j888
Hi, I know about the iPhone 8 being removed, I've rectified that situation with the waiting list. But my real issue is with the iPhone 8 Plus $64 plan as its only being offered on Live Chat. I've looked on the website and it's not listed, which is extremely suspicious to me. The only information I was offered was a critical information summary and was denied more information. The existing services not being included part has been explained to me. Thanks.

SomeAussieBogan

That's interesting you were offered a CIS for that offer. I have tried multiple times to ask for that information and it was not supplied. Is it the CIS that is online about the $59 offer? If so then have you got records of your conversation transcript? I am compliling a complaint to the ombudsman and my legal team as I believe they have breached their terms with that offer (i.e. it should have been offered in the same manner as the iPhone 8, with recontracting ok provided it was done online). I was told it was offered in the chat as compensation for the lack of iPhone 8 stocks, but when I questioned why I couldn't recontract on it and keep my number as per the original offer, was offered no documentation or explaination. If you have transcripts or details of the CIS then Optus may have more to answer for

Dan_C

Hey @j888,

I just wanted to jump in and try and clear the air.

We'd actually sent out an SMS on the 19/12/17. I presume that you hadn't received this one?

"OPTUS MSG: We’re confirming that we’ve received your order and it’s being processed by our team. We’ll send an email with your delivery date and dispatch your order as quickly as possible. The delay is due to the high demand we’re experiencing so we really appreciate your patience. Thanks, your Optus Team. "

It's not something I can confirm at this point but I believe that we're sending customers to live chat is simply for ease of processing. Orders placed online via self-serve flow into a temporary order database. They require manual intervention by our admin team. Our admin will action requests in the order that they've come through. Sales consultants over live chat are able to perform the necessary checks during the chat interaction. The order is placed directly into our sales system which flows back into our ordering/servicing system.

As far as the iPhone 8 Plus is concerned, I'm going to chase this one up with marketing and confirm if it's something that we're currently offering. I do remember a colleague mentioning this offer but I'll try and get some solid information for you.

You and @SomeAussieBogan, believe we'd attempted to sell an iPhone 8 Plus under the proviso that you'd need to sign up for a new service number? Had our website previously mentioned that the handset was available for customers recontracting on to the same rate plan?

Do you have a copy of the chat transcript? Feel free to send that through via PM.

Received some handy advice from our Contributors? Remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo & Accepted solution their way!

Mark001

In regards to credit checks.... maybe you should know your information before contributing....

Optus uses Equifax and Dun & Bradstreet, both the reports have no negatives in terms of my personal credit history.... 

I go back to my original comments that Optus staff who make decisions most likely make mistakes and there is no way of communicating with the staff to get the errors rectified. 

j888

Hi,

I haven't even been able to order the iPhone 8 yet as my account had an optus system error and it took 1 week for it to be rectified by the IT department. However, I have been placed on a waiting list during a conversation with a live chat operator who told me and I quote, "

Live Chat Operator (13:19:08 Australia/Melbourne) : For suppose If the offer ends then also you will still be given this plan.

Me (13:20:26 Australia/Melbourne) : So you are telling me that because I am on the waiting list, the offer will be valid after it ends ?

Live Chat Operator (13:21:01 Australia/Melbourne) : If you’re happy to wait for a while for the phone you wanted, we can put you on a waitlist and contact you when it’s available –you can still get the phone at this price.

".

Regarding the iPhone 8 Plus deal, this chat operator told me various different things, that I could "

Live Chat Operator (13:08:04 Australia/Melbourne) : Please visit any nearest Optus store to get more information." They then told me that this was not an instore offer, and that"

Live Chat Operator (13:11:37 Australia/Melbourne) : No, if you are looking to upgrade it is only available online."

Furthermore, they retracted this statement and told me "

Live Chat Operator (13:16:26 Australia/Melbourne) : I am sorry, this plan is only for new services with new numbers and not for upgrades."

At this stage I am not sure what to believe as there has been no proper information provided to me at all, besides the Critical Information Summary.

Thank you.

[ Edited ]
Dan_C

@j888, thanks for sending that through. 

Are you able to send us a private message with your full name, DOB and mobile number? I just want to see whether the consultant has left a note on the account. I can confirm that there is a temporary Stop sell on the iPhone 8 handset. 

When did this chat interaction take place? Was it only just recently or before the 22nd of December?

I've also been advised that the iPhone 8 Plus on the $59 promo plan is only available for new customers in store. The iPhone 8 Plus wasn't apart of the initial offering. 

Edit - Live chat were offering a wait list for customers who'd enquired about the plan after the offer was removed from our website. Customer should have received an SMS asking if they'd still like to go ahead with the order. If we've captured your details, you'll need to speak with Live chat sales and ask that they input your order. 

www.optus.com.au/livechat

Received some handy advice from our Contributors? Remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo & Accepted solution their way!
Post a Reply
iPhone X now available to order

Stock will be limited.Read More

Top Contributors
36 Kudos
13 Kudos
10 Kudos
8 Kudos
5 Kudos