Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Occasional Contributor Tiredofoptus7
Occasional Contributor

i wish to turn off the extra mobile data after my limit has been reached

I wish to turn off the extra mobile data after my limit has been reached,

I do not wish to have any top ups to the  MOBILE data.

I cannot see any dashboard to disable this feature and the staff claim they have no control to turn it off.

I have had this disabled before as it is my teens phone and the bills are unaffordable.

This is unbelievable that the feature cannot be turned off.

0 Kudos
19 Replies
New Contributor jesslou85
New Contributor

Re: i wish to turn off the extra mobile data after my limit has been reached

Yes! I wish to know this as well. My son keeps going over my data and optus take it upon themselves to keep recharging my account with a extra 1GB for $10 but I would like for it to cut out once the allocated data has been used! And will have to wait for the next month for the next lot to roll over. Very sneaky of them to do that, rather than offer if you would like to add a extra 1GB the just add it on

Occasional Contributor

It is very sneaky and I have had it turned off from the mobile phone dashboard before when I phoned up and complained this is a newer phone and the prices keep going up .

to say they cant switch it off is very underhanded because in fact it can be

all other companies let you control your usage if it cannot be done in future i will be using Yamojo it has very affordable rates and more control of what you wish to use . 

right now Im waiting for an answer of for the supervisors to access my account and switch the extra data off . 

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

At the moment - unless you go prepaid or turn data off on the device itself - there is no way to stop these auto top ups if you go over.

You can request taht data be turned off for the service itself - but this means no data at all will be available.

Numerous threads on these forums about this question.

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question?
Please remember to throw a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

I agree its extremely poor corporate behavoir. I've asked various Optus representatives on the matter and the general consensus is that customers would much prefer to pay up to $1500 a month of automatic data top ups than to not have access to full speed data always. 

There is no technical reason for this. Prepaid cards will cut off the second the monthly limit is reached. In the past Optus has offered plans speed limiting data once a limit is reached. Ultimately its a simple business decision to charge around 20% more money than you have signed up for if you go over your limit for a 2% increase in data allowance. This issue has only got more absurd as data limits (and the normal usage habits) have hit 100Gb+ a month.

I would be suggesting you get your son a prepaid plan. Its largely identical to a postpaid plan and you can set up automatic top ups if you want. It also has a bonus of rolling over unused data each month. As well if your son wants to top up for more he can pay for it out of his own earnings (nice life lesson)

Peter Gillespie

@jesslou85@Tiredofoptus7

Occasional Contributor

I switched off my mobile data to that account to avoid the over charges every month.

I still pay for my limit but cant actually use it so I can avoid over charges, it is a shame a modern company like yours dont offer an option to switch off your options.

but I did have it disabled on Tue the 12th of June 2018. 

and as of today Monday the 18th of June 2018 it is still on and running and over charging.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

this matter is still ongoing and as mentioned in the second and third chat to mobile and accounts the mobile data was turned off as a solution to over billing, which in effect means I’m paying for mobile data I cannot use to avoid charges I cannot afford or did not directly ask for.

in fact, I requested it be removed but your company say they cannot provide.

the protested charges are still occurring in spite the service being cancelled obviously all the charges will be waived from my bill, there is a trail of transcripts to say this service is turned off please remove all mobile charges from July 12th 2018 please. 

I switched off my mobile data to that account to avoid the over charges every month.

I still pay for my limit but cant actually use it so I can avoid over charges, it is a shame a modern company like yours dont offer an option to switch off your options.

but I did have it disabled on Tue the 12th of June 2018. 

no further charges for the mobile data should be showing on my current bill and will need to be removed and be shown on a new reprint of the account.

and as of today Monday the 16th of July 2018 it is still on and running and over charging.

the last contact and transcript details :

Visitor-2057187615-24153, Jun 20, 2018 10:29:33 Australia/Melbourne  Jun 20, 2018 10:41:24 Australia/Melbourne

00:11:50    OperatorI Norwyn    INT-va1appis11-1529454341001-115506

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Good evening @Tiredofoptus7

Can I just confirm how you went about this?

You've switched off data through the handsets settings or had you asked a representative to add data-barring to the account? 

How many times had you exceeded your data allowance for the month of June?

-----------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor bunnee
Occasional Contributor

@petergdownload@

Appreciate you bringing this matter up with Optus reps. I do wonder if it's against the law for Optus to automatically add data to our account when postpaid customers go over their limit. Because a postpaid customer signs up to a plan, for a certain amount of data, calls, etc, agreeing to pay a certain fixed monthly amount but not for anything over. If customers wants more than their monthly allowance, then customers should have the option to choose to pay more for more data. 

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

The law is a funny thing. Its definitely opportunistic. Similar behaviour in the Premium SMS arena was recently called "unconscionable" buy the ACCC (and resulted in about $50 million being paid back to customers left exposed to unwarranted, unrequested and uncontrollable costs)

But illegal? If you check your contract you'll note that you aren't just signing up to your fixed costs. Optus place it pretty front and centre in their CIS summary that they will top up your account up to 250 times (or $2500) before deciding you should probably be cut off. They are legally obligated to send usage warning SMS (at 50%, 85% and 100% and at each top up) but only to make a "best effort" at that (any time within three days of the usage is considered acceptable).  

Its a pretty predatory approach taken by Australia's second biggest Telco, but perhaps that's what you have to do to get to number two. Optus has a lot of great products and services but its marred buy these costly shenanigans IMO. The only way to ensure you don't get excess charges is to go prepaid at Optus (which funnily enough Optus manage to cut you off within a few kB of your monthly allowance on the dot)

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Top Contributors