cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

i have been charged for international calls i did not make to morocco and Uruguay

i have been getting calls from countries then they hang up these include Morocco and Uruguay i have been charged for making calls to these countries which i have not. i received a text message about paying roaming fees while i was still in the country. i rang the number that was in the text to contact the operator said that i had no charges to pay. i received the bill a few days later. and there is $799.90 in charges for calls i did not make to the said countries. since that time i have been continuing to receive these hang up calls. more from Morocco now Costa Rico, Malawi,Congo republic and several numbers with the prefix 000112. i believe that my number has been hacked. 

i believe that i should not pay for calls i did not and could not make. i believe that you should look in to this and maybe if need be cancel the number if you can not stop it. please take this seriously. Adrian

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: i have been charged for international calls i did not make to morocco and Uruguay

@Adrianm wrote:

i rang the number that was in the text 

Cane you give us a screen shot of the text message you got?

What was the number you called, I'm betting it was an international number.

i rang the number that was in the text to contact the operator said that i had no charges to pay. i received the bill a few days later. and there is $799.90 in charges for calls i did not make to the said countries.

Were the charges itemised? And were there charges for the number you called in the text?

since that time i have been continuing to receive these hang up calls. more from Morocco now Costa Rico, Malawi,Congo republic and several numbers with the prefix 000112. i believe that my number has been hacked. 

No surprise there. One you make even a single call, which you either unknowingly made when returning a missed call, or when you called the number in the text, they'll pump up the the calls because you've already fallen for it once.

since that time i have been continuing to receive these hang up calls. more from Morocco now Costa Rico, Malawi,Congo republic and several numbers with the prefix 000112. i believe that my number has been hacked. 

Very unlikely that its been hacked. I got one of those hang-up scam calls yesterday on my non-Optus mobile from +1869 (Saint Kitts and Nevis).

i believe that i should not pay for calls i did not and could not make. 

By the sound of it looks like you may have made at least one call (i.e. from the number in the text), but regardless, you should definitely talk to Optus about it.

i believe that you should look in to this and maybe if need be cancel the number if you can not stop it. please take this seriously.

This is a public forum and you will need to talk to Optus directly about it. They won't be able to take it seriously until you inform them about it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: i have been charged for international calls i did not make to morocco and Uruguay

@YetAnotherAcc gave a pretty full answer. To add my two bits, you've fallen for a scam. You should never answer calls from unknown areas. You should never ring any back. An old scam is the one ring scam. When you hit redial you are put though to an expensive 'service' (unknown to you) that charges you phone $10 a minute or the like.

You don't have an $8000 bill. Stop interacting with these numbers and people and hopefully they'll lose interest. Wait for you Optus bill to see what you are actually being billed for.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@petergdownload wrote:
An old scam is the one ring scam.

That's the one that hit me, but it was so brief it didn't even get a chance for that one ring.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

I have been charged for a phone call to Madagascar on the 17th of April, and I did not make phone call, I have read on Optus complaints that this has occurred to other Optus users, this needs to be fixed asap as I intend not paying $280.00 for the mth of May 2020
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

As mentioned above, did you call back any numbers (local or overseas)?
0 Kudos
Top Contributors