how do you stop automatic top ups

how do you stop automatic top ups

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Crowd Champion Davelew
Crowd Champion

Re: how do you stop automatic top ups

Hi

You can't. Much to the annoyances of many of Optus customers they won't give us the choice. Their response is it is what their customers want but many of us think it is so they can generate more income. 

Dave

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

If you have a windows or Android phone you should set data limits on them to earn and cut off data locally.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Tano
RetiredModerator

Hey akapeterc, you can't turn off the automatic 1GB data top-ups, however you do have options with Mobile Data Add-On packs, which offer better value with excess data used outside your plan.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
New Contributor akapeterc
New Contributor

That is no cheaper than what they hit you for until you get to 5gb. I had the app saying I had 6gb left in the morning and then at 5:30pm I get three texts straight after each other saying you have used 1gb, then 3gb & then 2gb $60 bucks total

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Tano
RetiredModerator

The automatic data top-up is priced at $10 per 1GB additional data, whereas with the Add-On packs, you get more value with more data. As you can see an additional $10 Add-On pack provides 1.5GB of data, as opposed to the 1GB for $10 automatic top-up, while 6Gb is $30, half the price for 6x automatic top-ups ($60).

As for the excess data alerts, these can be delayed by up to 48 hours so it's important to keep track of your data via the Optus App and My Account. We can certainly offer further clarification on your data usage at the end of the billing cycle. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@Tano

Customers aren't looking for ways to maximise top up value. They really want to pay a set price for a set amount of data. Not $40 a month and then "sorry this is 48 hours late but you owe us $1500." I can't think of any other industry that tells it's customers it's unable to provide a reliable way to monitor usage, but that issue can incur large penalties.

I realise this is totally beyond your control and a decision by Optus management but it really is a frustrating policy. Especially as Optus manage to cut off 1000s of prepaid users the instant they try consume 1kb more than their plan allows. Post paid users are just asking for the OPTION of the same courtesy.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Highlighted
New Contributor akapeterc
New Contributor

I will be leaving Optus as soon as my contract is up it’s just a blatant con to get more money out of you been with Telstra for years never had trouble with data because they’re 24 seven app is a lot more accurate than the Optus one

New Contributor Castle454
New Contributor

Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Damn, thought that link was to an official announcement by Optus.

Agree completely it a predatory practice. Especially as Optus can monitor and stop download to the kB if its a prepaid plan. The issue is only getting worse as plan sizes increase. Whereby running over a limit a few years ago meant a 8Gb plan might go to 9 or 10Gb accidentally, its extremely easy to blow through 10Gb+ on these 100Gb+ plans these days. (i.e. a 10% error results in a 100% penalty)

Peter Gillespie

PS Attaching posts to an existing thread only get seen by people that originally posted in that thread. You should start a new thread if you want it to be viewed by all at least once.

Top Contributors