cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
Occasional Contributor zzzman
Occasional Contributor

eSIM - Cannot activate replacement SIM in My Account anymore

I picked up an eSIM QR code for my new phone today from a local Optus store. The rep told me that I could do a sim replacement online myself. 

Just checked My Account on Optus and they seem to have removed the option where can you self serve the activation of a replacement SIM?

"My Account > My Services > Manage > Activate a new SIM card for your phone"
now only takes me to another page which says "To replace your SIM card, please call 133 937 or visit your nearest Optus store with 100 points of ID."

I changed from a physical sim to an eSIM a few months ago in my account by entering the control number. I can’t do that anymore? 

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: eSIM - Cannot activate replacement SIM in My Account anymore

Same thing for me.

Even https://offer.optus.com.au/activate-sim has same message. 

Did hear that Telcos are implimenting more security to combat sim replacements and porting "theft"

E. G. They "steal" your service, your bank sms "you" the new password etc and they take your money etc.

My guess its due to that. 

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question?
Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
Occasional Contributor

Can a moderator please review and advise? 

Is this a temporary or permanent change? It seems so inconvenient that I have to go into a store to change over an eSIM when I already have the QR code and was able to do it myself online before. 

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Hi zzzman,

Online SIM replacement and My Account SIM replacements are currently unavailable. You can SMS "menu" to 9999 and follow the prompts to replace a SIM via self serve, just ignore the first part of the automated message that says to go online and follow the alternative instructions to do it via the 9999 function.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the reply mate. 

Do I do the SMS activation first before I scan the QR code? 

Or do I scan the QR code first then proceed to go through the SMS activation steps? 

0 Kudos
New Contributor Soldier
New Contributor

I believe you need to scan it after activation. 

I ruined one by doing it too early.. (maybe more patience could’ve helped) but the codes are single scan on,y..

Although, having said that, if you’re given a window of 15min-4hours it means it’s quire possible for people to scan it too early.

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Hey guys,

This A Guide to eSIM page should help out.

The QR code can be scanned at any time after completing the initial eSIM set-up. Each QR code can only be scanned once as Soldier mentioned.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Top Contributors