Searching...

Mobile

does optus prepaid mobile broadband consume data for streaming fifa

Ethan_2253

does optus prepaid mobile broadband consume data for streaming fifa?

I have a prepaid mobile broadband and if I purchase the subscription through play store on my computer can I stream the matches for free then?

Re: does optus prepaid mobile broadband consume data for streaming fifa

Paddylee

Took a bit of searching for that.

https://offer.optus.com.au/for-you/entertainment/sport/optus-sport/2018-fifa-world-cup?linkto=waysto...

Right to the bottom under FAQ's

What data charges will I incur streaming content on Optus Sport?

Optus Prepaid Mobile and Prepaid Mobile Broadband: Customers who have purchased an Optus Sport subscription can watch live games and on-demand Optus Sport content without using your plan's data when viewed on the Optus Sport App. Advertisements, specifically pre- roll ads played before on-demand content, authentication and analytics will count towards your plan data.

You'll also need to have a positive MyData/MyAccount balance, including to access the App. If you have a Daily Plan, accessing the app will trigger a day's use.

Biggest point to bring up - you HAVE to watch it on your device - connecting your phone to your pc would likely cause you to be charged for data due to the following: "when viewed on the Optus Sport App"

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip? Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!

Davelew

There was a thread on whether watching Optus Sports on a PC or Chromecast using your phone's hotspot would incur data charges.

No conclusion was forthcoming and one of the moderators said they would investigate but I have not seen any response since then.

Dave

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy

Ethan_2253

So do I have to download the optus sport app on my PC.. could I just go to Optus sport page and login and stream the match on my PC only?.

Remember I have my prepaid mobile broadband connect d to my system

Paddylee

The app is only for your phone/tablet.

No desktop app at all (only website) 

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip? Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!

Ethan_2253

Since I will not be streaming through the app.. will I incur my prepaid mobile broadband data to stream?

As you mentioned above the highlited point..

Davelew

If it is a windows PC you need to access Optus Sports through your browser as @Paddylee@. Days.But as said before I don't think this will be data free.

The only way I know you can stream on a bigger screen data free is to cast from your phone to your tv using Miricast. You can obtain a Miricast dongle for around the$20 mark.

Dave

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Highlighted

LucyS

Hi @Davelew, if you hotspot from your mobile phone which uses the Optus mobile network to another device, it will not use your plan's data (well technically it will but it will be "unmetered" which means you won't get charged for it). So you'd just need to download the Optus Sport app to your mobile device, stream the matches via the app on your phone to another device then use your mobile as a hotspot for the other device and it wouldn't use your plan's data.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

Davelew

Hi @LucyS

Thanks for replying, but I am still a little confused. If you stream to another device using Chromecast would that use your data?

That is why I would use Miricast from my android phone, but Chromecast connects directly to the Optus Sports server and your phone only acts as a type of remote.

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
78 Kudos
74 Kudos
63 Kudos
55 Kudos
49 Kudos