Searching...

Mobile

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

details of data usage

Mollie1950

I have a 25GB My MBB Plus plan and use a Huawei modem to service my laptop. I am a light user and can usually get away with 25GB quite comfortably. However my usage seems to be steadily increasing and I had two transactions, one for 2.89 GB's and another for 5.2 GB's on my last statement which is unusual for me. The problem is that the statement only shows the date and the amount of usage. Perhaps the transactions I mentioned are just extra large windows updates. Is there anyway of obtaining more detail please?    

Re: details of data usage

[ Edited ]
Yeldarb

That's the same info I get when I use my laptop and it makes it difficult to know what has used my data. In my case using Netflix of late accounts for data usage from 2 - 5 GB a day. Unless you have downloaded one if the big Windows version updates I doubt that would be what is using it. Do you have any cloud backup utilities running that might be using your data?

Edit: I should have also said that you can check the day that Windows updates have been installed by going into your settings / Windows updates and checking update history. There was one big update rolled out recently for Windows 10.

daily-data-usage.jpg

Mollie1950

Thank you for reply. I was really interested in knowing whether it's possibe to obtain more details but from you've said it looks like it's not? I know very little about cloud except that it's there on my computer. I had an incident not long ago where I beleive my computer was hacked and someone got into my computer and that's why I wanted to check the details. 

[ Edited ]
Yeldarb

No further breakdown of data is possible with mobile broadband as far as I am aware.

Cloud is simply a backup utility that transfers your pictures, documents or whatever you specify to another computer for safe keeping. Unfortunately, this also creates another point for hackers to try and access your private information and can also send your data usage through the roof transferring all those files. Windows 10 can set this backup utility by default if you use a Microsoft email when setting up your computer for the first time so its worth checking if OneDrive is actually running on your computer.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/turn-off-disable-or-uninstall-onedrive-f32a17ce-3336-40fe-9...

Malware and viruses can also cause data usage spikes and I would highly recommend you scan your computer with a good antivirus program. The Windows Defender program that comes with Windows 10 is not much chop in my opinion and I would suggest something like Avast if you want a good free program.

https://www.avast.com/en-au/free-antivirus-download

Solution

Mollie1950

Thanks Yeldarb. The question of whether or not I can obtain deatails of data usage has still not been answered. However I appreciate your advice.

I think Windows Virus Protection, Defender is quite efficient, overly so in some ways. It hogs a lot of memory when it's constantly scanning my computer. I've looked into scheduling the scans but how you go about it, https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/4026132/windows-10-schedule-a-scan-in-windows-defender-anti..., is a bit daunting to someone like myself.

I have Bitdefender (free) as my other anti-virus program which seems to work quite well.  

Solution

Yeldarb

If you mean obtaining details of data usage from Optus support I don't believe you can. They may give you an idea on what was causing those spikes but nothing else.

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
143 Kudos
129 Kudos
120 Kudos
79 Kudos
72 Kudos