cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question

Yes Crowd will close and be redirected to Help & Support on the 1st November 2021. Thank you to every member who has made this community such a helpful and supportive place for customers and staff to interact to help serve along with improve our products and services. You will be missed.

ice
Contributor
Contributor

could Optus look into expand new brands of makers of mobile phones? My observation

No doubt in my mind Optus stock the top flagship phones like the Samsung range and also the iPhone brand, with some good deals but as an along-term customer what I noticed is there are other brands in the midrange budget line up Optus could stock more. they do not stock nither do other telcos stock .brands affordable the midrange line up like one plus. Vivio range  which is great phones,

Real me brand phones and other top phones like the Sony phones so people then tend to shop elsewhere for an outright phone, with almost flagship specs at a cheaper price or cheaper plan, don't get me wrong Optus Samsung A series phones like the -A53- 5g  a42 5 g and A 72    are excellent good prices, but there are other phones that are even good that Optus does not stock, there re other phones that are just great I never seen sold in Australia, or from other telcos, Optus could possible expand on or order to suit customer needs? take a look at the jb hi-fi range for an example they also run sales mid-range phone offers a good solution for contact or outright at a budget price in that market. which means customers in the midrange range would probably buy another phone sooner than the one flagship they may get which would be better for sales and consumers.

4 Replies
Kyri_YC

Re: could Optus look into expand new brands of makers of mobile phones? My observation

Hey @ice. Thank you for providing us with your feedback on the current phone offerings we have for our customers. We will be sure to pass on your feedback to our relevant teams so it can be reviewed for future use. 

Feel free to reach out again if you have any other questions or suggestions.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: could Optus look into expand new brands of makers of mobile phones? My observation

I believe one issue is that Optus become responsible for security and firmware updates for the phones they sell. They have a department that has to test each model and update (extensively) and issue the updates to buyers periodically. That might limit the range they want to offer.
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@petergdownload wrote:
I believe one issue is that Optus become responsible for security and firmware updates for the phones they sell. 

Only if they add their own custom firmware, otherwise they are no more responsible then any other retailer selling a phone.

ice
Contributor
Contributor

you made a great point what i ifind that after a while the makers of phones you may not even get security updates anymore or the firmware like Optus does not do updates they just sell the phones on that just on their own app my Optus app in the play store, or only on NBN modems have two phones that usually go with the company be it iPhone or Samsung. with the flagships mobiles, you will get around two to 4 years of updates like the A.72 and a52 Samsung my older phones like my note 5 lunched in 2015 no more updates, and also my recent phone a Vivio   S1.i have fun touch 09  on that but no new updates .that normally makes customers buy flagships, due to panic with no new updates or security patches, you then may need to add your own security app. but Knox security on android phones are safe  .the problem is most, apps will access camera contacts even GPS or they don't work like google and others apps like third camera apps or social network apps. without permission they will not work....but you can still decide under permission who you give access

to what apps.