Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

cancel phone contract

I signed up for the iPhone 11 over 3 years for my 13 year old son at the beginning of the year.  I have decided that he is too young to have this responsibility, and now I would like to return the phone and cancel the contract without paying out the contract.

I am experiencing financial hardship as with this phone my total bill is over $400 per month.  My daughter was paying for her phone, but due to COVID19, I have had to take over paying for hers again.  

The phone has had very minimal use, and it has been in a case with a glass screen protector.

I hope you are able to help.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: cancel phone contract

If you're in financial hardship and have phone bills are over $400 per month then you have more problems then just your son's phone and need to reevaluate all your phone contracts.

As for you're son's phone specifically, its not reasonable to expect to just be able to return the phone and be done with it. While Optus can probably cancel the service portion of the contract without any issue you will almost certainly be required to payout the remaining handset cost on an agreed payment schedule.

See Financial Hardship Assistance.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Do chat to the hardship department and see what they say but suspect the help offered won't be hugely useful. Besides, you're not talking about hardship but a change of mind where you sign a contract and now just want to change the arrangement. If the hardship department can't work something out then at this stage I would suggest

1. Sell the iPhone 11 on eBay. Assuming a fairly base model then its worth around $1000
  2.  All Optus phone contracts are month to month. So you can end any plan at any time without penalty - you just need to pay out the value of the phone.
  3. Grab a more age appropriate phone. Either an old iPhone but I'd suggest say a Pixel or Pixel 2. Cost about $150 -$300 for a refurbished one on eBay.
  4. Look at getting a prepaid plan. These are much cheaper and they get a chance to learn how to manage data properly (Unlike iPhones, Android have a built in option to enter the monthly data allowance and set a warning and cut off limit that the phone measures (not your ISP)
  5. You could try a long expiry SIM like:

https://www.amaysim.com.au/plans/long-expiry-plans

https://offer.optus.com.au/shop/prepaid/sim-card/180-sim?SID=con:prehome:sd:pre:apr20:180

https://boost.com.au/plans/#Long-Expiry

6. Personally I just go the 1Gb a month option from Amaysim for my 13 year old. He uses wifi a lot (its everywhere) or hotspots from mates data. They also bump that to 2Gb or more for free after a few months (just ignore the offers to pay they send)

7. You can crunch the numbers for your daughter too. Post paid plans are expensive so if you can afford to just cancel the contract (no penalty) and then pay what remains for the phone itself you can move to a similar deal as above (I like the Boost $300 year long plan that gives 25Gb a month effectively). There's probably a bit more to pay upfront but then nothing more for 12+ months.

Highlighted

Hi @RCleland79, we don`t have access to customers account on this public forum. If you are facing hardship then you can speak with our Hardship team directly on → 1800 120 698 between 9am – 6pm to assist you further. Please refer to our → Financial Hardship page for more info.

Kartika__________________________________________________________________________
I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community. This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Hi Kartika, would you please take my post down.
I have decided how to remedy the situation.
Thank you.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@RCleland79,

Forums are a pretty powerful repository of knowledge. They're free and crowd sourced and can offer a lot of views and information. The flip side of that is that your questions (and answers) are made available to everyone so that more people benefit than just yourself. It would be great if your shared your solution but if not then the thread might help others in a similar situation as you.
0 Kudos