cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question

Yes Crowd will close and be redirected to Help & Support on the 1st November 2021. Thank you to every member who has made this community such a helpful and supportive place for customers and staff to interact to help serve along with improve our products and services. You will be missed.

PhilipMiddleton
New Contributor
New Contributor

blocking a stolen phones imei numbers.

I had my phone stolen from my house last monday.

I called the police and I have a case number.

I know I wont get my phone back, and its not insured, so its a total loss.

I want to make sure the person who stole it cant profit from it, so I want the IMEI numbers blocked.

So far, Optus wont help (they say its not registered with them).  Iinet wont help as they are not the actual carriers. Other services appear to just be search services that wont actually block the phone, just make a list of numbers available from anyone to search.

How do I get the numbers blocked?

Numbers are IMEI1 866654035415881, IMEI2 866654035415899

Phone is a Xiaomi MI6 6/64.  Its just under a year old.

Its got to be able to be done.  I want that damn phone Bricked! (or at least not usable as a phone).

The sim was cancelled the next day.  they turned off the phone as they left my property.

Help.  How do i cancel or block the imei numbers when I dont have an account directly with Optus?

Thanks in advanced.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Ray_YC
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Re: blocking a stolen phones imei numbers.

Hi PhilipMiddleton,

It's a relatively straight forward process for an Optus agent to block an IMEI however as you mentioned, the phone(s) need to be activated/registered with Optus.

How did you first get these phones? Through iiNet? It should be via the service provider you had the phones with. For example if a Dodo, Amaysim, Extetel, etc. customer has their phone lost/stolen, those providers assist with blocking the IMEI.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am now no longer part of Yes Crowd or Optus. Thank you to all those who have contributed to the forum during my time, especially the regulars! Cheers!
0 Kudos
PhilipMiddleton
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thank you for replying.
The phone (dual sim, thats why 2 imei numbers) was purchased full price, separately, new and unlocked with no plans.
I use IInet as my ISP and as they have a joint deal going, I decided use them for my Mobile service as well. They use Optus as the carrier service they on sell.
The phone was stolen and I emediately blocked the sim. I'm now getting the runaround from iinet and optus when trying to get the stolen phone's imei numbers blocked.
I'll be damned if I'm going to have the person who stole my phone profit from it!
Bluntly, I want my phone bricked!
Problem is, how?
0 Kudos
Ray_YC
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

I'm with ya, I would want the same.

The answer is by finding someone at IInet who knows the stolen phone process.

It's even explained on their website. Assuming you have account access, refer them to that page or speak to the manager if you're still getting nowhere. 

Good luck!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am now no longer part of Yes Crowd or Optus. Thank you to all those who have contributed to the forum during my time, especially the regulars! Cheers!
PhilipMiddleton
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thanks for the reply.
Iinet (now that they are part of the TPG group) have outsourced all of their support to mostly 3rd world countries. So the operators are idiots knowing little more than the switch it off and back on again type responses. After insisting a few times, I finally got connected to a KIWI in NZ who was able to help.
They have told me they have submitted the numbers and they should be blocked within 2 days. However, I dont really know if they are going to do this, or how reaching it might be (ie only for the Optus Network? Or only for Australia?) I might give it a few days and then call again and see if I can find out.
0 Kudos
Ray_YC
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

An IMEI block is normally for all networks within Australia.

PhilipMiddleton
New Contributor
New Contributor

Once again, thanks for replying and thank you for the information.
Not trying to sound too short, thats a start but its still not a perfect solution.
I guess its about the best we can expect from a bunch of carriers who will still make money on a phone regardless of if its stolen or not. Only blocked in Australia still means a Global Version of a phone (like mine) will work anywhere else in the world (except china - who have their own unique set of frequencies).
What we need is a "Global Register of Stolen imei numbers" and each country to mandate all its carriers to routinely block all those imei numbers. That would effectively put an end to all but the most determined phone thieves / fences who would still send expensive phones (apple and Samsung?) back to China to have the imei numbers reworked (apparently it can be done).
Correction: Could be done a few years ago, I dont know about now.
I look forward to a day when steeling any network connected device will be all but pointless.
Currently, both Manufactures and Carriers have no incentive to get serious about theft.
And the average person on the street is not well enough informed about the situation to push them. Yet.
0 Kudos