Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
WASTINGTIME
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

ZTE and OPPO PHONES locked to Optus unlocked for $25 BUT DONT WORK ON TELSTRA

Posted by WASTINGTIME (New Member) 5m ago, 3:58pm

Member since 30th Dec 2018 with 1 Post

My Phone in question locked to Optus was Model ZTE  Fit Smart . Same problem for people with Oppo.

This looks like an incredible scam. I'm aware of 4G and 3G networks - Both Optus and Telstra show same bands

Optus charges $25 to unlock your phone and then just the Messaging and internet work. No phone IN or OUT.

I've seen a huge number of people complaining about this very thing as far back as 2016.

I hate being ripped off. Not only do I want my money back and I'll cancel every Optus phone and the Internet when that expires in June 2019. Optus will lose over $1,600 p.a.

I'm reporting this to the Telecomm Ombudsman and hopefully a legal firm will start a class action against Optus.

Imagine 100,000 people at $25 = $2.5m ripped off

One person  who posted says spoke to ZTE direct and they said the ZTE Fit will not work on Telstra after being unlocked

0 Kudos
9 Replies
GTFO
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: ZTE and OPPO PHONES locked to Optus unlocked for $25 BUT DONT WORK ON TELSTRA

Telstra and Optus dont use the same bands for 3g (and thats the network where the calls are made and NOT on 4g for these devices).

Optus uses 900Mhz and 2100Mhz

Telstra uses 850Mhz nationwide and some 2100Mhz in some areas

Optus Prepaid Oppo A73

https://www.optus.com.au/shop/prepaidmobile/oppo/a73/black

3G Network
900/1900/2100 MHz

So that will not work on Telstyras nationwide 850Mhz network so no voice calling unless your in the samll areas where Telstra uses 2100Mhz for 3g.

ZTE Fit Smart

http://www.ztemobiles.com.au/feature_Fit_4G_Smart.htm

3G UMTS 900, 2100 MHz

Same issue again.

This is all clearly displayed on either the Optus website or ZTE's own website.

Dan_C
Retired Employee
Retired Employee

Re: ZTE and OPPO PHONES locked to Optus unlocked for $25 BUT DONT WORK ON TELSTRA

I tend to agree with @GTFO here.

I do feel as though given the amount of these enquiries that are popping up of late, maybe some copy should be included on the unlock page that states, "before processing with a Network unlock, confirm with your carrier if the handset will be supported on their Network."

I'll pass that idea down the line and see if I can get some action taken on that. 

In the meantime, I'll edit a couple of our, "how to unlock your phone" pinned forum posts. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Dan_C
Retired Employee
Retired Employee

Here we go

https://yescrowd.optus.com.au/t5/Mobile/Unlock-Your-Prepaid-Mobile-Phone-or-Device/td-p/108228

A few edits made to this one. That's our most frequently viewed Prepaid Network unlock article. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
WASTINGTIME
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Frequencies and Bands issues: OPTUS DECEPTIVE BUSINESS PRACTICE – AVOID RIP OFF

The (3) three mobile networks in Australia are owned and operated by Telstra, Optus and Vodafone. The numerous other service providers all work on one of these networks

FYI - smaller telcos are called mobile virtual network operators (MVNOs) and they resell access to the mobile networks. Typically MVNOs tend to offer basic services at a cheaper rate.

Voice traffic still goes over the 2G and 3G GSM networks. Calling drops the 4G connection, picks up a 3G connection and communicates the signal using the GSM standards.

VoLTE changes that. Instead of sending your voice over the ‘old’ channel, it’s transmitted over the 4G data network. Your voice is just turned in to data by your phone and transmitted exactly the same way as data is sent over the internet. The adjustment to using VoLTE to route calls involves using a protocol called SIP. (Session Initiated protocol)

Hello to OPTUS COVER U BUTT PEOPLE. PaddyLee and DanC – THANKS GOT YA – CAUGHT YOU PROOF BELOW!

YES I found out since my initial posting that there was a difference on 3G AFTER EXTENSIVE RESEARCH and after paying $25 for so called Optus unlock. Phone calls are using 3G not 4G.

1. 3G phone - re Optus uses 900Mhz and 2100Mhz
  2. 3G phone - Telstra uses 850Mhz nationwide and some 2100Mhz in some areas

It appears if you could get an area where Telstra is using 2100Mhz for phone then the calls IN and OUT would work.

How can you CALL AN UNLOCK actually unlocked IF IT WONT WORK ON THE MAJOR AUSTRALIAN CARRIER TELSTRA? Seems just Vodafone and ANY OTHER Optus marketing service like Amaysim are all you can use the phone for and your UNLOCK WEBSITE SHOULD SAY SO.

The ZTE FIT phone spec does not work on both frequencies 850Mhz and 900Mhz just works on Optus 900Mhz. Only works on 900Mhz. So don’t unlock the phone throw it away if you want to go to Telstra.

The IMEI OF MY ZTE Fit phone is 86650102711109503 – after $25 fee produced unlock code 806622275484.

Every phone or Mobile Broadband device has a unique 15 digit code, called an IMEI number. You might need to find your IMEI number if you want to unlock your device to use with other networks, or for some insurance policies. You can find your IMEI in the following ways: by entering *#06# on your phone's call screen.

THUS THE SERIES OF IMEI NUMBERS ATTACHING TO ZTE PHONES WOULD BE IN THE OPTUS SYSTEM IN ORDER TO PRODUCE AN UNLOCK CODE.

EXTRACT - Your IMEI number is unique to your device, and can be used to identify its MAKE, MODEL, and serial number.

YOUR OPTUS WEBSITE FOR UNLOCK SHOULD NOT JUST SAY check to see if your carrier band supports the Optus 3G 900 Mhz for phone calls BUT CLEARLY STATE AN UNLOCKED OPTUS PHONE WILL NOT WORK ON TELSTRA for phone calls AS TELSTRA USES 850MHZ NOT THE Optus 900Mhz.

This is because when a person enters a ZTE FIT IMEI the Optus system would immediately identify that the phone is a ZTE so an unlock code can be produced.

AT THAT POINT A MESSAGE SHOULD SAY AT A MINIMUM THAT IF YOU PROCEED WITH THE UNLOCK AND ENRICHING OPTUS BY $25 THE ZTE FIT PHONE WILL ONLY WORK ON A 900 Mhz 3G BAND FOR PHONE CALLS.

LOOK - DO YOU GET IT PADDYLEE AND DANC?

Extract from ZTE FIT 4G USER MANUAL Page 28 of 29

Technical Specifications Size and Weight

134.5 × 67.4 × 10.3 mm. 154g with battery

Networks

4G LTE 700, 1800, 2300, 2600 MHz with up to 150Mbps data.

3G UMTS 900, 2100 MHz.

2G 850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz.

So we can see that there is no 3G 850Mhz listed in the ZTE FIT phone SPECIFICATION above, so that the unlocked Optus phone will NOT work on Telstra’s 850 Mhz.

THAT WOULD BE OBVIOUS/CLEAR to Optus but they just want your money. What are they arguing that they Optus thought you would go to Vodafone (900Mhz) or Amaysim (USES Optus network)

Neither may have a suitable plan.

IT LOOKS LIKE THE ONLY OTHER CARRIER USING 900 MHZ IS VODAFONE and other MARKETING FIRMS USING OPTUS 900Mhz.

AMAYSIM – (cheap runs on Optus network)

All amaysim mobile and data-only plans are powered by the Optus 4G Plus Network. Currently the Optus 4G Plus network is a data-only network. The 3G network is still used to make and receive calls so you'll drop back to 3G signal whenever you make calls.

Since it is internet online that requires speed (4G) that’s the reason the internet works on Telstra after unlocking  an Optus phone BUT not the Phone Calls IN and OUT.

I’ve seen YES Optus people with OPPO phones having the same problems after unlocking from Optus.

Many people go to Telstra – Boost OR Aldi all using Telstra after leaving Optus and do not have this level of detail and nor did I until I was fleeced by deceptive Optus unlock business practice.

Further questions for you Optus Blog watchers’ PaddyLee and DanC

1. Is any Telco using 2100Mhz for calls? If not why not? Lack of infrastructure?
  2. When will 4G phone calls be implemented in Australia

We’ll see whether the Ombudsman sees this OPTUS Unlocking as deceptive and as an unscrupulous business practice. Optus should refund ALL unlock fees and I will send this to a well know legal firm to see if they will take up this matter.

Please note that it's not enough to match just one frequency. Australian phone networks are built using multiple frequencies, and not all frequencies are available in every location. The network frequencies used in rural areas are often completely different to those used in the city.

GTFO
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Well thats a mishmash of copy and paste.

Hardly deceptive when the bands are clearly stated, a bit of research needs to be done if you want to change.

Numerous other optus Prepaid phones have ALL 3g bands.

https://www.optus.com.au/shop/prepaidmobile/samsung/galaxy-j2-pro

3G Network
850/900/1900/2100 MHz

https://www.optus.com.au/shop/prepaidmobile/alcatel/a3

3G Network
850/900/1900/2100 MHz

So checking to see if the device supports what your trying to do is key.

Telstra even has a tool to tell you if the device will work: https://www.telstra.com.au/coverage-networks/check-imei

Even states this: 

1. At a minimum, your device and SIM must support 3G 850MHz services to use the Telstra Mobile Network.

WASTINGTIME
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Paddylee you should consider a role as a Comedian!

Quoting other optus 850Mhz is irrelevant.

1. People are not unlocking thier phones to use an Optus prepaid.

2. People unlocking Optus phones should not haver to go to Telstra's site to find 850Mhz IS WHAT IS REQUIRED

THEY ARE EXISITNG OPTUS CUSTOMERS

YOU HAVE SKIRTED DODGED THE ISSUE

put the information on the OPTUS WEBSITE THAT

IF YOU ARE UNLOCKING THE ZTE FIT

SAY THE PHONE CALLS WILL NOT WORK ON THE TELSTRA NETWORK THAT INCLUDES BOOST

Dan_C
Retired Employee
Retired Employee

I've already began updating the copy included in the body our of how to unlock your prepaid handset articles.

This is the best I can do for now.

I'll try and get an update on the Network unlock page on the main Optus domain, but i'll need to reach out to a few areas. 

Edit* although I can appreciate your saying, I don't think it's absurd to suggest that customer looking to switch to another provider check their website to ensure the device is supported on their Network.

If I were to purchase a handset overseas,  I wouldn't expect the salesperson to make it known to me that the phone may not working in another country or region other then where its been purchased. 

Purely my opinion.

*Any updates we make the to our unlocking articles are out of courtesy not necessity. Although, we give you the option to unlock handsets. Prepaid handsets, which are usually exclusive to Optus are optimized for use on the Optus Network.

0 Kudos
GTFO
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

You would not drive in a different country before checking local laws. Yes this applies to this issue - dont assume

Its up to you as the person instigating a move to a completely different mobile to check to see if it will work on their network. 

Telstra provide a tool on their website to check your phones imei to make sure it has 850Mhz 3g.

0 Kudos
xyberhanz
Contributor
Contributor

You’re an idiot. Do you even know how to read. Telcos are using different bands in their network and it is clearly stated on what they use. So why are you using this cheap china phones anyway? Seriously. You like cheap phones that’s why you get cheap service LOL

0 Kudos
Top Contributors