Searching...

Mobile

Highlighted

YouTube Music streaming data costs

M0F0

So YouTube Music (the service) goes live along with YouTube Premium next week. Seeing as it looks like Google will be eventually deprecating Google Play Music in favour of the YouTube equivalent, will the YouTube Music streaming data be zero rated the same way Play Music currently is for accounts with data free music streaming enabled? 

Re: YouTube Music streaming data costs

Dan_C

I can't say that we've heard anything from upstairs on that one@M0F0

Their pricing structure is a bit confusing. 

The premium subscription charge for YouTube Premium is slightly higher than a Premium Google music subscription and includes all Current content available on YouTube Premium. 

The great new for existing google music subscribers is that they won't see a change to the way that they're charged. They’ll also receive access to YouTube Premium as they'd already had an active YouTube Red account. 

It'll be interesting to see whether they can convince customers of other popular streaming services like Netflix to give it a shot. The free access to Google play is a great incentive to switch. 

I think we’ll have to wait and see what the uptake is like at launch.

We’re currently performing upgrades to the Yes Crowd platform.

Please be mindful that moderator responses may be delayed until the upgrade is complete. We apologise for any inconvenience during this time.

***Please note I am not currently with the Yes Crowd team.***

This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

Charithp

This is officially a thing now and I really hope optus is on top of this. I got access to YouTube Music today and Google Play Music is on its way out eventually. 

Dan_C

We don't have any new info as of yet @Charithp

As it stands, the Google Play Music app still exists and it's something that's still included in our data free music proposition. 

We'll be sure to communicate any changes to the current offering. 

We’re currently performing upgrades to the Yes Crowd platform.

Please be mindful that moderator responses may be delayed until the upgrade is complete. We apologise for any inconvenience during this time.

***Please note I am not currently with the Yes Crowd team.***

This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

JamesWaugh

Is there any update on this?

YouTube music is already usurping Google Play music. Considering YT music is included free for all Google Play subscribers and Google is essentially replacing Google Play with yt music it would be very dissapointing for Optus not to honour both (especially since there would be no data increase from users who switched over and no impact on Optus).

Tbh I would probably churn as a customer if this isn't honoured since I'm already at the limit of my data allocation.

AlistarS

Hey @JamesWaugh ,

With Google Play still active, we're not looking to change anything in terms of the steaming services unfortunately, are you currently paying for your Google Play Music? Can I also ask how much data you currently have on your plan, there might be newer plans in market that include a larger amount of data for the same or similar price. 

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
131 Kudos
128 Kudos
98 Kudos
87 Kudos
56 Kudos