cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
New Contributor d3vour3r
New Contributor

Xiomnia Scam premium sms charge i never subscribed for

I was sent 2 message from Xiomnia which i immediatly deleted thinking it was spam. Turns out these tests charge me $9.08 each on my bill as a content service not included in my plan. I never subscribed to this. 

Optus you need to give me credit on my bill because you should be stopping scammers from getting access to our private information eg our mobile numbers. Happy to discuss futhur if any rep wants to help out. 

details are:

service description: Xiomnia

Supplier: MIA Sphere Live

Type: P/O

Helpline: 1300 724 406 

Ammount: $9.08 / text

0 Kudos
6 Replies
New Contributor littlewolf
New Contributor

Re: Xiomnia Scam premium sms charge i never subscribed for

There's an option in your account page 

under settings

Premium SMS spend control

Control how much you can spend on Premium SMS in a calendar month.

Set this to $0 or disable it entirely... it'll stop such charges ever being able to show up again because any SMS service / subscription will be denied when trying to access. Mine wasn't setup with my plan, they don't even notify you of it, they just have some random default that allows it to spend without you even knowing the options exist which shouldn't be allowed.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Moderator Casey_

Hey @d3vour3r, direct carrier billing is a legitimate way that third parties are able to easily bill users for services, there should be a process where you've agreed to terms and conditions before any charges occur though. Where this hasn't happened, we're able to raise a dispute with the service provider to discuss reversing the charges. We are also able to set your content spend limit to $0, essentially blocking any further Premium SMS from charging you, alternatively you can manage your spend yourself in My Account, more info can be found here. If you would like us to assist you, please send us a PM with your mobile number, full name and DOB for privacy.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor Matt2797
Occasional Contributor

I got this as well. I noticed my bill was $20 higher than usual so i used the online chat and found out it was this xiaomnai mob that i've never even heard of!! 😡

RetiredModerator Mike-N
RetiredModerator

Hello @Matt2797. Please send us a private message confirming your phone number, full name and date of birth. We'll help you lower your spend limit and raise a dispute. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
New Contributor xis123
New Contributor

Mate the same thing happened to me yesterday!! Absolute JOKE. DONT EVEN KNOW HOW.
Mike the moderator in the post above me has followed up with a dispute to the provider for a refund. Hopefully it all pans out alright.
Thanks for that btw Mike.

But really, what the heck!

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

If no refund is given, contact the TIO.

0 Kudos
Top Contributors