Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
jocelynchey
New Contributor
New Contributor

Wrong number calls

In the last week I have received two calls from people who said they were returning my call, but I have never called those numbers and do not know the people.  I am worried that my phone may have been hacked.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Yeldarb
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Wrong number calls

Somebody spoofing your number perhaps. Did these 2 people mention anything about an area code at the start of your number? If in doubt jump on the app store and download one of the antivirus / malware programs and see if that shows anything.  If you are techno savvy maybe a reset if it's really worrying you.

YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Its very unlikely that you phone was hacked. Its more likely that your phone number was spoofed (i.e. fake caller ID) by scammers.

I actually got one of those return calls last week and my phone was definitely not hacked.

0 Kudos
Nard_YC

Hi there @jocelynchey. Thanks for posting on Yes Crowd and for raising this with us. 

If you look through your call logs and see no records of the calls being made from your number and/or handset, it's most likely that scam callers spoofed their number to make a call to these people in order to hide their real number. 

We can have this reported for you if you get in touch with our Support Teams via Messaging in the My Optus App or by calling 133 937. 

If for some reason you're unable to get through there, please send us a Private Message on our official Optus Facebook or Twitter page and the team can have this followed up for you.

For further information and resources we recommend checking our Scams & Digital Safety page.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

Phil_in_Melb
New Contributor
New Contributor

I'm getting a few issues that all seem to be similar and related to this.

First problem: as described earlier, I get the silence instead of ringing tone, then the person answers. Happens quite often.

Second problem: I ring and the other party answers but is connected to an unknown caller instead of me. Again, happens quite often.

Third problem: I get a message from a person saying I rang them, although I had not. No record in my phone of an outbound call. Happened a couple of times that I know of, but of course it could be happening more but I'd only know if that person gets in touch.

Fourth problem, called a number that I contact most days, begins 0419, but got answered by Telstra Messagebank for an 0423 service. That's only happened once.

This has been going on for a few weeks. I'm 100% convinced that it's an Optus-Telstra connection issue.

0 Kudos
Nard_YC

Hi there @Phil_in_Melb

We may need to take a closer look into your service settings on the back-end to see what could be causing these issues. Have you recently ported over to Optus recently and have you always had these problems since the beginning?

I'd recommend reaching out to our 24x7 Messaging Team on the My Optus App so they can investigate this in greater detail. 

If for some reason you're unable to get in touch through there, please send us a Private Message on our official Facebook or Twitter page and the team will also be able to take a closer look.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

0 Kudos
Phil_in_Melb
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thanks, but same phone, same service has performed faultlessly for months. So many random things happening with calls to Telstra phones only, it's not going to be my phone or config. There are similar issues occurring being discussed in other forums too, consistently Optus -> Telstra.

One message I saw from somebody who possibly had inside knowledge referred to the interconnect being "end of life" and "poor quality".

I've been involved with telcos for decades, I know you they consistently attempt push back on customers for every fault, suggesting it's a config issue on their end until you eventually do some analysis of problem reports and accept that it's actually an infrastructure fault and fix it (more looking at you, Telstra!).

My main purpose in raising it here is that others may stumble across this thread and won't waste too much time trying to get it sorted. Rather they will probably do what I'm going to do and switch telcos.

0 Kudos
Nard_YC

I appreciate where you're coming from @Phil_in_Melb and providing further context. 

I'd still recommend getting in touch with the teams above as we'd be more than willing to work towards getting a resolution in place. 

These teams will also have the ability to raise this issue with our Senior Experts to review and investigate.

0 Kudos
Phil_in_Melb
New Contributor
New Contributor

Mate, appreciate you're trying to help, but I'm certain that this is a systemic problem that will take ages to get sorted.

I've just ordered a Boost SIM, so that's a quick and easy solution!

0 Kudos
Tuong_YC

We would hate to see you leave the Optus Family @Phil_in_Melb and so would like to assist with your concerns. However in order to investigate and advise further we will require some more context and may need to run some checks on your account.

If you were not wanting to reach out online, our teams are also available over the phone at 133 937 as well as in store

0 Kudos
Top Contributors