cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
tenya123
New Contributor
New Contributor

Wrong charge for more than 30 days, more than $100!

Dear all,

I have been overseas for more than 1 year. To continue using my phone number and receive text messages from the bank, I pay $30 per186 days. I have international roaming on but never used it for receiving data or making phone calls. So far I have recharged for more than 3 times so I should have more than $100 credit. But after I topped up my account again on 2nd Sep 2019, I realized that I only had less than $30 left in my account. After investigating the bill details, I realized that Optus charged me $2 almost every day for phone calls that last less than 1 minutes. I was very surprised by this because there is no possible reason that I or anyone else can make calls on this number. I tried to contact the customer service on live chat, they are no help at all.  Does anyone have the same experience? Is there any way to have the money back as it's so wrong to be charged for calls that no one made? 

Your comment or experience will be greatly appreciated!  

0 Kudos
6 Replies
tenya123
New Contributor
New Contributor

Re: Wrong charge for more than 30 days, more than $100!

Additional information, from the detailed usage, all the phone calls are made to my own number: 

Call to xxx (my own number)
Deducted from
09:40 pm
MyTalk
00:00:31
MyCredit
$2.00

the above happens almost every day!
0 Kudos
tenya123
New Contributor
New Contributor

Additional information, 

I just viewed my phone and there are missed calls listed, however, none of these missed call numbers is familiar to me and none of them has been picked up. After talking to the livechat agent of Optus, they claimed that these calls are actually connected. I am very, very confused and frustrated by this! How can a phone call be charged if it's barely a miss call? 

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Hi,

Is there a chance these calls go to a message box?

Generally Optus is pretty good a crediting incorrect bills (they happen). Exaplin what you have here and request a credit and that should be granted.

Peter Gillespie 

0 Kudos
tenya123
New Contributor
New Contributor

Hi Peter

thanks for your reply.

I checked with optus via their live chat service, they said voice box will not be charged if it is a missed call. And they said in their system, there are "real connection" for those calls that I have never answered. What makes thing even weird is this "real connection" and "charges" happened in many days in the past few months, not only once, and already cost me more than $100. Now I have taken my sim card out of the phone, and to see whether this situation will still happen in the coming days. 

For the credit, I will try to ask. Hope optus can consider the situation and return me back the mysterious charged credit. 

petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

It's definitely a strange one and suggests a weird glitch in the system. The SIM idea is a good test.

Hopefully the issue stops. If live chat is an issue for the refund writing a brief letter to the official complaints address should be successful.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Ray_YC
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Hi Tenya123,

Based on what you've described, I suspect you've got some kind of diversion in place.

I would suggest removing them

It should be ##21# call or ##004# although I've heard mixed reports whether this works overseas or not.

There would be an option to do it via your phone settings > more settings > call forwarding > voice call > options as an example on my Android.

You could even ask Optus to put an incoming call (not SMS) bar on your service as it sounds like you don't use it for calls?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community. This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Top Contributors