cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
areyoukiddingme
New Contributor
New Contributor

Worst possible service - Setting up new account.

Today I sent this message to optus livechat and facebook PM:

"I signed up for the Optus Mobile iPhone 8 $59 special mid December. I know all the issues Optus had with fullfilling this order so my phone was not dispatched until the 20th of January. I moved out on the 19th of January. I called Optus and changed the address to my new address. They said that the phone would go to my new address. The phone went to my old address.

Optus apologised for the mistake and said that it has been returned to the post office (since it wasn't delivered) and to pick it up from there. I went to the postoffice and the new tenants in my old house had gone to the post office and told the post office that I don't live there so that it would be returned to sender. I called Optus and they said that they couldn't do anything until it is returned and would need to wait 2 days to dispatch again. I called startrack and they said if optus called it can be returned to the post office before it reaches to optus. I then called optus again and told them what startrack said so Optus called startrack and all parties confirmed it will be returned to my local post office and I will be able pick it up after midday the next day.

That next day, around midday my old phone (with Kogan sim card) stopped working. I need my phone for work so I went to the postoffice and they said that my parcel has been returned to the office depot in Sydney (I live in Brisbane). Optus kept telling me that the phone was at my local post office. After 5 hours of confusion, not having a working phone and missing a day a work (I run my own business), Optus and I both discovered that the phone had in fact been returned to optus. When it was returned to Optus warehouse, Optus activated the sim card (apparently this happens when signed as delivered... even though it was signed as delivered at the Optus warehouse) which ported my old phone number. Since I did not have an optus sim card at that time, this was the reason for my phone not working.

Optus then told me that I could go to an optus store who would be able to give me an optus sim card and change the sim card over while I wait for the new phone to be shipped. I went to an optus store, waited an hour only to be told that they could not do it because the store has a different system to account purchased online. They suggested to call the support number and said "good luck" followed by a laugh. Optus, for once came through and was able to set up the sim card in my old phone. They then told me on the 23rd of Jan that the phone will be returned "soon". I made sure they had my new address. After a week of not receiving the phone I called again to see where it is. I checked what address it was being sent to and they said my new address again. I got a text last week saying that it has been delivered. I was away but my girlfriend was home. I got back this week and there is no parcel. I thought startrack must have left a slip somewhere so that I could pick it up from the post office. I looked up the reference number and called startrack to find out that the phone was delivered to my old address this time with the Authority to Leave without a signature. (THE AUTHORITY WASNT EVEN THERE THE FIRST TIME THEY SENT IT TO THE WRONG ADDRESS!!!) So now I am trying to contact the old property manager and see if I can track down the phone. Its a very real possibility that the phone is lost. I want to know what optus is going to do to rectify this and compensate me for all the time I have wasted. I am politely messaging privately first but I will take this public if I do not get an adequate response."

I spoke to the reps on Live chat for 1 hour and 20 minutes. I was transfered to a manager and another department. The last person I was speaking to (named Grace) asked me the same questions over and over again including: my account number, "what is the actual issue" and "has the phone been delivered". Eventually Grace said she would call the warehouse and find out if it was sent or not. I told her that Startrack has confirmed that it was delivered to the wrong address. Grace proceeded and after being on the phone to the warehouse for 15 minutes she said. "Jack, I really appreicate your time. I have informed the warehouse that your phone was delivered". Grace then immediately ended the chat!! This was clearly intentional from Grace.

This is beyond a joke. I have wasted over a week of work hours to sort this out and so far completely regret moving to Optus. Someone needs to contact me and let me know what they are doing to fix it. 

Has anyone experienced anything like this and can give me tips on how to approach optus. I can't spend another 2 hours on the phone to them just for a solution to be no nearer. 

0 Kudos
6 Replies
areyoukiddingme
New Contributor
New Contributor

Re: Worst possible service - Setting up new account.

My next step will be to contact the Telco Ombudsman

AaronD
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Almost identical experience. Ombudsman is the only way to go I reckon.

Optus support is appalling.

They didn't want to take my order in store, turned me away. I think it was a warning.

0 Kudos
AaronD
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Here's my "experience". Sound familiar?

0 Kudos
10000000000GB
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Changing your address mid-order is a guaranteed way to stuff up, because the staff only have 30% control over the Optus database. Request take 3 attempts.

0 Kudos
areyoukiddingme
New Contributor
New Contributor

Yes I see your point but that is clearly still Optus' issue. Throughout the process I was told at least 3 times that it would be sent to my new address. I made the order over a month before the first attempted dispatch which is the first of many issues caused by Optus. 

0 Kudos
areyoukiddingme
New Contributor
New Contributor

Also all they needed to do was call Startrack and give the updated address. They called startrack while I was on hold on a different occassion so I know this is possible.

0 Kudos