cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Wireless data plan

Dear Optus, my kids started to stay home from this week. My son is in high school. He has 4 hours of online course everyday. I am very concerned that our data plan 200g/m cannot support his study. Could optus be nice to offer some free data? Thanks a lot.
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Wireless data plan

That's a fair amount of data for studying purposes. Most likely social media, video games and streaming content is taking a chunk out of that. Peter was talking about a bonus data offer in the post above yours that might be worth a look.

https://yescrowd.optus.com.au/t5/Mobile/How-to-add-extra-data/m-p/604621 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Not really @Yeldarb average data usage for 1080 streaming is 1.65gb per hr. Assuming his high school is streaming all lessons for 4hrs a day at a minimum of 1080p that's 33gb a week or 132gb a mth. That's doesn't take into account the other 20hrs of the day and family usaage
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I must say I am rather behind the times on what study would involve however now I know for next time. Is there no option to reduce the resolution on those streams? Text based work often needs the higher resolution but that's probably the only time. No thoughts on moving to the 500GB plan or even a wired service if available?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

We're discussing all possibilities.

At this time, we're:

• Supporting customers in difficult financial circumstances due to COVID-19
  • Boosting mobile data allowances
  • Free Optus Sport
  • Making all fixed broadband      plans unlimited – including older plans

As well as Monitoring and managing capacity across our mobile and fixed networks 

There's no harm in contacting our customer care team, but I can't make any promises at this stae

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

You guys are absolute champs for jumping on at this time @SteveV @Yeldarb.

You have no idea of how grateful we are. 

Truly aprecciate it, 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Cheers!

Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thanks Dan_C. And thanks to everyone replied this post.

We have used the 200g/m plan for a while, which just fits our family life style. Sometimes we pay $10 per 1g for extra usage at the end of month.
The school online course costs a lot, 50g/m I guess, that's a big impact, $500 bill at $10/1g price. To avoid that we have reduced online video time. But I am still worried.

I am not asking for data on entertaining. The online course is on some edu dept website. Is that possible Optus could set data from /to particular website to be free?

Regards
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Hi Tiger7911,

That's not on the cards that we know of as this stage. You always have the option to increase the plan to 500GB and then downgrade again when no longer needed.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community. This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Top Contributors