Searching...

Mobile

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Wifi calling - non Optus-supplied phone

Beakerr

I have a brand new Pixel 3 (model supported) but purchased from a large electronics store. Is there a way to enable wifi calling? If I understand correctly I need Optus firmware on my phone, is there any way to push this onto my handset? Seems a bit limited if I can't.

Before anyone tells me the steps in the settings etc., the options just aren't there.

Re: Wifi calling - non Optus-supplied phone

Paddylee

Pixel devices dont have carrier firmware as far as I am aware - its a pure Android "experence".

Do you currently get VoLTE on the device?

If not, you need to contact Optus to get it activated as its required for VoWiFi. 

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip? Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!

Beakerr

So I have just finished chat with someone who apparently enabled VoLTE on my device, though I still can't see the setting after a restart. According to this https://yescrowd.optus.com.au/t5/Network-Coverage/VoLTE-and-Wifi-Calling-for-Google-Pixel/td-p/49211... Only phones with Optus verion of Android can use Wifi Calling. Further down the thread someone says they got VoLTE to work eventually but I can't tel if their phone was Optus purchased or not.

Beakerr

For those playing along at home:

Optus says here that Pixel 3 is compatible ,no caveats Ican see:

https://yescrowd.optus.com.au/t5/custom/page/page-id/tp2/VoLTE-support

But provide no instructions to turn it on.

Chat says it is enabled on my account.

But Optus says the phone must be supplied by Optus: https://www.optus.com.au/shop/support/answer/volte-coverage-networks?requestType=NormalRequest&id=16...

Regardless Chat also says Wifi Calling needs an Optus supplied device. So Optus must put someting in the firmware. Pity they can't push a setting to your phone or something.

Fail.

Solution

Paddylee

Pixel 3 range does not have carrier firmware unlike all other Android phones, Optus only started selling from Pixel 3, support dont know the difference 

Is a long thread 6 pages long on here about the Pixel 3 wifi with people receiving a google supplied update in February this year and VoWiFi working. 

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip? Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!

Beakerr

Final word, I can confirm after a few extra updates (seems I didn't realise my new phone would have to go through every iteration, not just grab a cumulative update), and a day after my VoLTE being activated, my phone suggested that I might like to use WiFi calling. So I just turned it on. It is SUPER unclear from any Optus pages whether this was possible, but turns out it is. Thanks everyone who chimed in.

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
81 Kudos
75 Kudos
72 Kudos
58 Kudos
44 Kudos