cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

Re: Wifi Calling Not Working - Appears to be Optus Issue

Hey @Eventswest - so there's no error messages when you try to use WiFi calling? We may need to fiddle with some things on our end. Can you please PM me with your mobile number, full name and DOB? 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I’m getting really annoyed with Optus WiFi Calling. I have recently swapped to Optus to get WiFi Calling but in the two weeks that’s I’ve been connected and with three different sims and three different devices the WiFi calling service seems to work only about 50% of the time. Is there a trick to make this work 100%?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

Hey @sveevers, do you have WiFi Assist (or similar) switched on? If you ever fall out of reach of a good WiFi signal, your phone will automatically switch over (or try to switch over) to the mobile network, if coverage isn't great then you would see some inconsistent performance with WiFi Calling.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

@Tano, WiFi Calling is turned on and I have excellent WiFi coverage and zero mobile service at my house. None of this changes yet WiFi Calling will work at my house for a period and then it will stop working. It might work for a whole day or a few hours but it will stop working at some point and then it might be not working for a whole day or more. I have multiple sims and multiple phones and it is often working on one combination of sim and phone but not another and if I then switch sims the WiFi calling or lack of follows the sim not the phone so it must be an issue with Optus somehow. Right now, I have one phone working with WiFi Calling and one not yet they were both not working 12 hours ago. 

This is obviously and Optus issue but optus refuse to acknowledge it. I am on chat tech support every second day for more than an hour and they just go over the same troubleshooting of checking my settings and resetting the phone and this never restores the WiFi Calling. 

Highlighted
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

I can see where you're coming from here, however WiFi calling is inbuilt into smart phones and isn't a direct product of Optus. 
You've mentioned above that you've tried on multiple phones and SIM's and it does work with a different handset, is that correct? 

If so, the issue may direct to the device you're using.
What phone are you using?
Do you often experience issues with your WiFi?
s there a possibility when you're making calls using WiFi calling that you're too far away from the modem?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

@Shauna

This is definitely not an issue with my phones or WiFi calling in general, it is an issue with Optus’ implementation of WiFi Calling. 

I am sitting here right now with two iPhones and each has an Optus sim in it. At the moment, one phone is connected to WiFi Calling and the other will not connect. If I switch the sims in the phones then the one that wasn’t working is now working, in other words, the issue follows the SIM card so it is definitely not the phone or the WiFi network. 

Yesterday, both phones were connected to WiFi calling until about 8pm (Perth time) and then they stopped working. This morning one was working and one wasn’t and it has now been like that since aroun 9am. 

The problem is an intermittent one, sometimes both phones will work, sometimes only one will work, sometimes neither will work. 

This IS an issue with Optus’ implementation of WiFi Calling whether Optus want to admit it or not. 

As further proof, both of these phones have been working flawlessly with Teltra’s WiFi Calling service for the past 18 months. Since we switched to Optus a few weeks ago it has been working on and off but never working for more than a day or two before it stops again. 

Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

I can confirm wifi calling is well and truly stuffed on optus.  It appears optus is way over their head and their technical knowledge is not as superior as Telstra's when it comes to engineering their network.

My S8 has not had wificalling working for about 3 months.  Chat support are utterly useless.  I have given up.  Optus really have no clue and dropped the ball on this.

If any australian based optus techs are reading this that might be able to help fix - feel free to contact, but for customers information, they are false advertising with Wificalling.  It doesnt work. its not reliable. dont rely on this if you need it.

Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Same issue here with S9. Just randomly works and then stops working. Nothing helps - especially not the technical team. So annoying

Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

@pub_licite, send us a private message and we'll get someone to take a look.

We'll need your full name, DOB and mobile number. 

Just a heads up - best to avoid posting the same comments on multiple threads. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

I hear you. Been out on a mine site with no wifi calling. Even though it has previously worked. Have spent countless hours on support chat going over the same things. Optus telling me its a samsung problem. Samsung telling me theres nothing wrong. As much as i dont want to, i'm going to have to cancell my contract and switch to telstra as they have coverage out here. Very di

Top Contributors