Searching...

Mobile

Highlighted

Wifi Calling Not Working - Appears to be Optus Issue

Balga42

Hi Optus,   I have been going around in circles trying to get wifi calling working for my better half as we have sero Optus coverage at our home address.  I have read all thr forums on this topic and no real assistance.

We have 

-  Brand new iPhone X  on an Optus Corproate account

-  I have enabled both VOLTE and WiFI Calling

- As I esplainied to the Optus helpdesk, I do not need or want  the Optus WiFi App as thsi is required for the later model iPhones (they weren't aware of this)

- I have a solid wifi signal at my home address and the phone refuses to connect to wifi calling.

BUT !!!  ......

The Optus website indicates that wifi calling for corproate accounts must be requested on the service however the Optus corproate mobile helpdesk checked and advised there is nothing they are able to configure and that it is my phone that is the issue.  They also suggested I should go to an Optus store for them to assist as they see it as my issue.

Upon asking at an Optus store they advised me that I needed level 2 support and they then sat me down with a mobile on hold waiting for a call centre to answer..I eventually spoke to someone with a very heavy Indian accent I could barely understand and who had no idea what I was trying to explain as the issue. I hung up and walked out in disgust. 

BUT ...  BUT ...

I also have another iPhone SE  which happens to be on a Telstra Corproate plan that works perfectly every single time with Telstra WiFi Connect.   So fault finding 101 , I swapped the Telstra SIM into the new iPhone X and the Optus SIM into the Iphone SE.

Funnily enough the issue followed the Optus SIM.   The iPhone X immediately sprung to life with Telstra WiFi Calling and and I could not get Optus WiFI calling to work on the SE.   I then put the SIMS back to their original phones and as expected the issue stayed with the Optus SIM.  

So I can only deduce there is either an issue with the  Optus network configuration, or an incompatabiltiy between Apple and Optus. .. and I'll leave the door open for user error (me),  missing something obvious?

Re: Wifi Calling Not Working - Appears to be Optus Issue

Paddylee

I would think that the Corporate plan you are on does not have it enabled on the actual agreed plan itself.

As that would be out of your control it would be up to who is authorised person on the corporate to make plan changes or sign an agreement on a plan that supports the function.

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip? Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!

Balga42

Thanks for the reply... Yes, that was my starting proposition when I called Optus also noting I am well versed the requirement to be an authorsed rep for the specific account... hence why I asked that specific question via the Optus Corporate Mobile helpdesk.   I said to Optus, I do understand you cannot give me number specific details on this account as I am not authorised, however my general question is "Do I need to get the authorised rep to send a request to Optus to enable or activate WiFi calling on this service number?"  

The operator said that he looked at the number and there is definitely no config. change they can make regarding wifi calling.  It should be working. "  I then asked the operator go an check with their supervsior and I had the same response.  

The info on the WiFi calling is very black and white on most of the Optus help pages for this topic, basically saying once you enable it on the iPhone it will work.  If this is only for non business accounts they should say so.

But I'm with you on this .., I still reckon it's a policy configuration issue on the Corproate account side of things..although frustrating that Optus seems to be sending me on a wild goose chase.   Anyway, about 2 weeks ago I did already get the other half to send a request to her corporate helpdesk for them to send a request to Optus to enable wifi calling just in case it needed to. Time for her to follow up on that I reckon!  

Toomey

I'm sorry no one has been able to clarify this for you. Currently only the iPhone SE, iPhone 7, Samsung S7 & Samsung S8 are supported for WiFi Calling on the Optus network. The WiFi Calling page on Optus' website confirms this.

I'm sure the iPhone X will be added to the list soon, but currently there is no word on when this may be I'm afraid.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

Paddylee

Must be dreaming as my Note 8 has had volte/vowifi since launch in November and its not on the "list"  

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip? Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!

Balga42

And the confusing and misleading information continues.

If you go the the Optus Wifi Calling 'fact' sheet - https://www.optus.com.au/content/dam/optus/documents/enterprise/pdf/WiFi_Calling_Factsheet.pdf

and the list of compatible 4g phone running IOS 10.3 or later  ...drum roll.... 

-• iPhone X (Coming Nov 2017) • iPhone 8 • iPhone 8 Plus • iPhone 7 • iPhone 7 Plus • iPhone 6 • iPhone 6 Plus • iPhone 6s • iPhone 6s Plus • iPhone SE 

sigh.....

Dan_C

@Balga42, according to the FAQS:

To use WiFi Calling you will need to:

• Be on an Optus Post-paid Consumer / SMB Mobile plan (WiFi Calling is not available for Prepaid services)
  • Have an Optus approved WiFi Calling compatible device. For a list of compatible devices, click here?
  • Be connected to a supported WiFi network
  • Turn on VoLTE and WiFi Calling on your device, now sure how? Head over here for instructions

You've mentioned that you're on an Optus 'Corporate plan." I don't believe VoLTE/Wifi calling has been rolled out to Fleet & enterprise customers. The PDF you've linked hasn't been updated since late last year.

I've reached out to our product team to confirm WiFi calling availability on the below handsets:

iPhone x

Samsung GS9

Samsung GS9 +

I'll update this thread as I receive more info.

We’re currently performing upgrades to the Yes Crowd platform.

Please be mindful that moderator responses may be delayed until the upgrade is complete. We apologise for any inconvenience during this time.

***Please note I am not currently with the Yes Crowd team.***

This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

Balga42

Hi Dan, appreicate the follow  up..... I look for ward to the update ...

Yes correct, the Fact sheet hasn't been update for some time.... normally the correct fact sheet is the latest released version whenever that may be...  so how do I know what to beleive ?  the fact sheet, the web site (which I have no idea when it was updated), The Optus Mobiles support desk,  The Optus shop the support desk refered me to, or the call centre that the Optus shop rang up when I asked a simple question that resulted in a glazed look of bewilderment? 

The Optus business site indicates that this it is available for business cutomers upon request...  

Under supported phones on teh website is ius similar to teh fact sheet ---  

web exctract 

The following devices and more are compatible – detailed specifications are at the Technical tab.

So you then click on the techncial tab for the full list of supported phones....

Specifications Compatible 4G mobile phones

iOS

• iPhone X (Coming Nov 2017)
  • iPhone 8
  • iPhone 8 Plus
  • iPhone 7
  • iPhone 7 Plus
  • iPhone 6
  • iPhone 6 Plus
  • iPhone 6s
  • iPhone 6s Plus
  • iPhone SE
  • Android

• Samsung Galaxy Note 8 (Emergency Calls Build Number NMF26X.N950FXXU1AQH4)
    • Samsung Galaxy S8 (Emergency Calls Build Number NRD90M.G950FXXU1AQC9)
    • Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus (Emergency Calls Build Number NRD90M.G955FXXU1AQC9)
    • Samsung Galaxy S7 (Emergency Calls Build Number NRD90M.G930FXXU1DQBH)
    • Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge (Emergency Calls Build Number NRD90M.G935FXXU1DQBH)
    • Samsung Galaxy S6 (Emergency Calls Build Number NRD90M.G920IDVU3FQH3)
    • Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge (Emergency Calls Build Number NRD90M.G925IDVU3FQH3)
    • Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge Plus (Emergency Calls Build Number NRD90M.G928IDVU3CQF3)
    • Samsung Galaxy Note 5 (Emergency Calls Build Number NRD90M.N920IDVU3CQF3)
    • Samsung Galaxy A5 2017 (Emergency Calls Build Number MMB29K.A520FXXU1AQB7)

https://www.optus.com.au/enterprise/mobility/plans-and-devices/wifi-calling

Dan_C

We'll try and clear the air @Balga42.

I've tried testing the feature on a colleagues iPhone X. He has VoLTE enabled on his device and we're able to toggle WiFi calling on/off. However, when I attempt to call out we're not seeing the 'Optus Wi-Fi Call,' text prompt on his Apple iPhone home screen.

I should hear back from the team before close of business.

We’re currently performing upgrades to the Yes Crowd platform.

Please be mindful that moderator responses may be delayed until the upgrade is complete. We apologise for any inconvenience during this time.

***Please note I am not currently with the Yes Crowd team.***

This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Eventswest
I am also having an absolute painful experience with wi-fi calling. Just bought 2 new phones s9+ and A3 (2017). I even confirmed with Optus before purchasing rust wifi calling would work. It randomly comes up with wifi calling but there seems to be no rhyme or reason as to when it may or may not work. Help Optus.......
Post a Reply
Top Contributors
140 Kudos
120 Kudos
119 Kudos
78 Kudos
73 Kudos