cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor GregV
Occasional Contributor

WiFi Calling - how to get it enabled

I absolutely love WiFi Calling! Best thing ever.

Saves battery, less radiation, MMS more reliable, coverage as you need it, clearer voice calls + + +

My friend is on the same Optus plan as I, and has exactly the same handset. He has updated to the latest Android update on his Galaxy S6, yet still can't see the option to enable WiFi Calling like I have. Is this something Optus need to enable for him? If so, how does he request it?

My friend works at a University and has no cellular coverage most of the time, but has WiFi.. this would really help him, and help everyone needing to contact him! Like me! Haha

Please help as you can. Thank you.

Greg

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: WiFi Calling - how to get it enabled

Did they also get their handset through Optus?

I know this was a requirement as the Optus Firmware was needed for wifi calling on Android.

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question?
Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
0 Kudos
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Samsung

You'll need to make sure your Samsung device is running the latest software build that supports WiFi Calling

• Samsung Galaxy Note 8 (Emergency Calls Build Number NMF26X.N950FXXU1AQH4)
  • Samsung Galaxy S8 (Emergency Calls Build Number NRD90M.G950FXXU1AQC9)
  • Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus (Emergency Calls Build Number NRD90M.G955FXXU1AQC9)
  • Samsung Galaxy S7 (Emergency Calls Build Number NRD90M.G930FXXU1DQBH)
  • Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge (Emergency Calls Build Number NRD90M.G935FXXU1DQBH)
  • Samsung Galaxy S6 (Emergency Calls Build Number NRD90M.G920IDVU3FQH3)
  • Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge (Emergency Calls Build Number NRD90M.G925IDVU3FQH3)
  • Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge Plus (Emergency Calls Build Number NRD90M.G928IDVU3CQF3)
  • Samsung Galaxy Note 5 (Emergency Calls Build Number NRD90M.N920IDVU3CQF3)

For a step by step guide on how to check the software version on your phone click here.

You can read some answer here as well

https://yescrowd.optus.com.au/t5/custom/page/page-id/tp2/VoLTE-support/wifi-calling?_ga=2.77830295.2...

0 Kudos
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

As long as the handset was purchased from Optus, the only step you're missing is to activate VoLTE or Voice over LTE (google it but it's a good thing for no extra cost). Optus pair VoLTE and WiFi Calling so when you activate VoLTE, WiFi Calling is activated to.

You can do this through the phone settings: settings > mobile networks > VoLTE

Should get a text within a few hours to say it's up and running then go in and activate WiFi calling. Occasionally it gets stuck on Optus' end though so if you don't get a text in a day or 2, use Live Chat and they can manually switch it on for you - http://yesopt.us/chat2us

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own
Occasional Contributor GregV
Occasional Contributor

I didn't buy my handset through Optus I bought it out right at JB Hi-Fi and my Wi-Fi calling is working fine. My friend bought his mobile online and I'm not sure where but I think it was from Kogan. 

When I see my friend next I check his software version and also some of the other suggestions that have been made on this topic.

Thank you

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

If it was from Kogan then its international model, perhaps a dual sim one which wil run different firmware etc.

Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
0 Kudos
New Contributor angant
New Contributor

I have discovered that my new Note 8 from Kogan does not have the correct software as listed above for Optus Volte activation.  How do I download the software listed above?  I've discovered the phone was manufactured in Macau (not advised in any sales information from Kogan).

Regardless, Optus need to enable 4G Emergency emergency services for all customers, not just for mobiles purchased from Optus ~ lives depend on it. So when will the updates be available to all customers to make this happen?

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Optus purchased Android devices receive their updates via Optus, hence why they have their own firmware releases.

In regards to emergency calling - still have the 3g network for voice calls and calling emergency services on your mobile bypasses restrictions such as only having Telstra coverage but having an optus service - will still be able to make emergency calls. 

New Contributor Arcticwarfare
New Contributor

if you are willing to Flash Your Phones Firmware, you can Change it to an optus Firmware using Odin, but its not for the Feint at heart, many youtube Guids on how to do this.

0 Kudos
Top Contributors