cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Why is my $30/month plan costing me $33 a month? False advertising!

Basically... as in subject line, Why is my $30/month plan costing me $33 a month?

This is misleading and false advertising unless I am missing something. There was nothing in the advertising and the info sent to me before the account was set up that GST was not included.

This is in breach is advertising laws as far as I can see. 

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Why is my $30/month plan costing me $33 a month? False advertising!

Check your bill to see what the $3 is for. Possibly you haven't set up direct debit?

All Optus advertised plans include GST.

The bills however list all items without GST (So you'll see it itemised as $27.27) and then $2.73 GST added at the end.

Regards

Peter Gillepsie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Advertised price always includes GST (unless its one of the business plans).

Have you received a bill yet?

It will have the breakdown of what the charges are.

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question?
Please remember to throw a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

I recevied my first bill and it says

THIS BILL

SERVICE CHARGES

<mobile #> on $40 My Plan Plus 12M SIM $30.50

Sub-Total $30.50

GST $3.05

Total this bill $33.55

Direct debit from credit card will be debited on <date>   $33.55

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So  I am not sure if something is unusual because this is my first bill?  But I can see direct debit was set up from the start. I have a paper bill, but there is nothing in there about being charged for that, and as far as I can tell now paperless billing is set up. 

On the back there is a breakdown on included voice charges, data charges then recurring charges and then the discounts due to the promotion. 

I still can't see why it's more than the expected $30.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Pro rata first month plus full month by the looks of it.

Invoice should include the date range. 

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question?
Please remember to throw a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Optus first bills are also notorious for not having all credits applied etc. I'd wait for the second bill before spending time sorting it.

If you're recieving paper bills you 'll usually get a $2.50 monthly fee. Turn them off in MYACCOUNT (or the App?)

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi

If it is the $30 15Gig December online special, then your second bill will have the necessary credit applied and each bill will be $30 (not including any additional services used during the month).

Seems that the special is simply the standard $40 deal available in Optus stores but with a discount applied after bill 2.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@Gos,

Sounds likely. 

It astounds me that a multi billion dollar company can't just send out a first bill that is correct. Most new customers will be checking it carefully and angry upset responses like this thread are innevitable. Customers then waste their time trying to make sure the great deal they got is as they thought. Optus customer staff get flooded with calls about issues that should never have been. Its little wonder the Optus phone line wait seems to have blown out to over an hour these days. 

Its all well and good saying its mentioned in the fine print, but surely the second most important thing any company can do (after providing a product as advertised) is to then bill it as advertised?

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thanks everyone for the discussion and tips. I got onto OPTUS chat last night and they advised that not all of the discounts were applied to my account - hence the bill being higher than it should be.

They then advised me to go online and make a payment for the first bill (at $30) even though it stated on my bill that a direct debit was to occur on Jan 29th. When I pointed this out to them they said that first bills are not direct debited. Seems a bit odd since it was printed on my bill.  So the solution was for me to wait until Jan 29 to see if my bill direct debits, and if not pay it manually.  One would think that this would be a simple thing for such a big company to tell a customer!

Anyway - I saved the chat history and hopefully it's all sorted out now.

Thanks everyone.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

@EJK, you're always welcome to send us a private message with your account details http://yesopt.us/pmdan.

What's the offer in question? I'm going to take a punt and say it was our 25% off $40.00 SIM only offer?

THE OFFER:

Customers who sign up a new service online to the $40 My Plan Plus 12M SIM Only can get 25% off the monthly access fee for the life of the plan?

Certain offers do have the discount built into the rate plan itself, if that's the case; it'll be applied to the first invoice.

In most cases the discount does need to be applied manually by admin after the fact, hence we'll advise that the discount will appear from your second invoice onwards.

Our sales reps do receive a list of "must mentions." In some cases it is overlooked.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Top Contributors