Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Why is mobile reception so bad in Camperdown?

Hi,

Have just moved to Camperdown, NSW, 2050 close to the RPA hospital.  And the optus mobile reception is appaling!!! At times I can't even make/receive a phone call without it terminating.  Is this the normal state of affairs or just a current issue?

Phone plan with Optus is up in June so if is the normal state of affairs I have to wait until then to go with a better provider.

What makes things worse for my situation is that Optus  has not just messed up once connecting me to ADSL broadband but twice!  Was supposed to be connected on the 2nd Nov, still not connected and no ETA on when I will be.   If I wasn't as strapped for cash as I am, I would have given up on Optus and gone to someone else for broadband, but unfortunately for me they are the only one with all the options I want in my price range.  I'm on my third order with them to get connected - they had to cancel the first one because of an issue with the telstra exchange and reenter a new order ( I ask you what other organisation has to cancel an order because there was a fault with one of their providers?) , this second one they didn't enter correctly so it didn't get processed.  In all cases it was only my following up that turned up the issue, there is no pro-active engagement on their side. I've lost track of the number of calls, chats, etc, I've made so far all to get a simple ADSL connection. On the upside having great fun  telling people on the bus and my work mates the latest Optus mess up, my experiences has convinced at least one to go with Telstra rather than Optus.

Currently I'm basically hanging my phone out a window and using it as a wifi hotspot ... it sometimes works. Wonder if I'll be able to post this.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted

Re: Why is mobile reception so bad in Camperdown?

Hi @TaffyDownUnder2, disappointing to hear about your experience there 😞 Not at all what we want your experience to be like. Could you please confirm if the coverage has downhill just recently or it has always been like this? I'd also recommend trying WiFi Calling as an alternate when you don't get decent coverage for calls. Please feel free to PM me Here and we can discuss your concerns. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: Why is mobile reception so bad in Camperdown?

Sent PM. This is for those following along at home.

Moved to Camperdown, NSW 2050, at the end of October and the reception has been woeful since the first day I arrived.

Most of the time I can't seem to make/receive calls in the appartment, have to go on to the balcony and even then it can be iffy.

I have been using the phone as a wifi hotspot by placing it on a windowsill, this works most of the time outside the hours of 5pm-7pm.

Wifi calling is not really an option a) Optus said I'd have an ADSL connection on 2nd Nov, it's now the 20th and I've been told I should now have a connection on the 24th.  b) because of a) I've been using my phone as a wifi hotspot and I've burnt through my mobile data and I don't really want to have to pay more than I have to to Optus, so esentially I don't have a wifi network on which to make wifi calls.    

When/if I get connected I'm going old school and get an actual land line. Then in June when my contract is up I'll look into other mobile suppliers (probably Telstra).

0 Kudos