cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
New Contributor ajjk123
New Contributor

Why have my direct debits failed this month

We have two optus accounts, and even though direct debit is set up and has been working fine for the last couple of years, they both failed this month. I phoned optus this morning for the first account that we received an overdue payment text for and was told that we didn't have direct debit set up on the account. When I explained that we did, the lady said that the issue was with the bank and that we probably didn't have enough funds to cover it - which is not the case at all. When I asked her to set up the direct debit details again that she said didn't exist, she was able to read me the exact bank account details that have been used these last couple of years. I was told that there would be an overdue fee posted to the account and that I would have to ring up next month to get it credited.Then tonight I received an overdue text for our other account. I phoned Westpac and they assured me that there were sufficient funds in the account, that the payments had been happening automatically up until this month and that no payment was attempted from the account from optus this month. What is going on!!!!!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: Why have my direct debits failed this month

It sounds more like your account number changed as part of the customer service migration to the new platform nicknamed 'Jarvis'. 

Sadly, they can't delete things out of 'pre bill' until it gets generated due to the way their platform works for billing.

I would get them to re-activate direct debit and if the fee comes up, simply get in touch with them to have it removed.

I'm a Yes-Crowd Contributor, not an Optus Employee, and I contribute on a voluntary basis. Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and or Accepted Solution their way.
0 Kudos
New Contributor Sasha1
New Contributor

Hmmmm sounds like my story. I ignored the first two "wheres your payment" warnings as our Optus bill discloses the direct debit date (end of June).  After the third query from Optus, I went on chat line this morning and they informed me I did not have direct debit set up.  After further objection from me, they advised they had moved to a new server.  Full stop.  I was to thus draw the conclusion (and correctly) they had stuffed up and lost my direct debit, rather than owning this.  They requested I pay manually, to which I agreed on the basis there are no late fees or notation this is a late payment attributed to me. To say I am over Optus is an understatement.

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

I think @Jeneral__Pain is on the right track. We've had few customers come through on social media who've experienced the same.

The direct debit details should carry across, but in a couple of rare instances it hadn't been the case. I'd suggest speaking with our billing team over the phone → 133937. If you've been charged a dishonour fee or late fee, they'll be able to waive that off for you guys @Sasha1

0 Kudos
Top Contributors