Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
TuT
New Contributor
New Contributor

Why does it cost me $15/m NOT to use my 4G dongle SIM

I want to purchase a 4G Optus USB dongle as a net backup. It is only for emergency use and will rarely if ever get use. 

Optus today tells me I can share my 54GB from all my mobile phones BUT I must pay $15/m to keep the Data SIM active just in case an emergency may arise and I may need to use it.

This seems rather extortionate to me. Can anyone suggest an alternative plan or carrier without these ongoing fees even when the SIM is not being used. I have tried Optus both online and in store but both insist on the $15 charge, but I do have a chat transcript from Ancon in support who says I should just be able to share my 54GB data at no charge. 

Anyone care to comment?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
TuT
New Contributor
New Contributor

Why does it cost me $15/month NOT to use a SIM

I want to purchase a 4G Optus USB dongle as a net backup. It is only for emergency use and will rarely if ever get use. 

Optus today tells me I can share my 54GB from all my mobile phones BUT I must pay $15/m to keep the Data SIM active just in case an emergency may arise and I may need to use it.

This seems rather extortionate to me. Can anyone suggest an alternative plan or carrier without these ongoing fees even when the SIM is not being used. I have tried Optus both online and in store but both insist on the $15 charge, but I do have a chat transcript from Ancon in support who says I should just be able to share my 54GB data at no charge. 

Anyone care to comment?

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Why does it cost me $15/m NOT to use my 4G dongle SIM

You can't share data to a prepaid plan or data SIM. Its arbitary but that's just the decision Optus has taken. 

I think I've wanted a long term, low fee, emegency option for about two decades now. A plan that costs say $10 a year but which might charge $2 a call and $10 a Gb if used. It would fulfil so many people's basic emergency needs but it seems long ago the decision was made not to offer this option.

I'd suggest just shop around. Other cheaper companies have low cost long term plans. Optus will give you a 365 day plan for $5 a month. Includes 800Mb of data.

Alternatively (and perhaps your best bet) just keep the stick and if an emergency hits then just buy 28 days of data. Optus currently offering 35Gb for $30 avaiable when you need it.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Davelew
Crowd Champion
Crowd Champion

@petergdownload

Ok Peter what am I missing here. With modern smartphones you can activate the hot spot and connect devices the same as you can to a 4g dongle. In an emergency if your broadband drops out it is easy to purchase a data package for your phone plan online.

I know you'll have a reason.

Dave

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Is beer a reason? Smiley Happy Winding down on Friday. Will leave off posting until back under .05.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Davelew
Crowd Champion
Crowd Champion

Can't wait for Monday morning when you below the limit.

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Prod1gy
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Why does it cost me $15/month NOT to use a SIM

Hi TuT,

Unfortunately there is no way to share that data onto a new SIM Card without adding another plan at minimum $15 per month, you are able to purchase a $2 SIM Card and then recharge as needed however this will not share the data from your current plan pool. Might be worth checking your bill to see if you have any of the old data share plans which came free if you signed up during certain time periods, however these are not available to add on now.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own .
0 Kudos
Dan_C
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Re: Why does it cost me $15/month NOT to use a SIM

@Prod1gy is right.

Back in my retail days you could purchase a Data sharing SIM for a one of $5.00 fee.

This option was removed a couple of years back. I don't believe any agents have the ability to provision a $0.00 data sharing, especially now that we've migrated to our new billing/service platform.

Most aged legacy offers have been removed entirely. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos