cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor SoFrustrated
Occasional Contributor

Why do Optus not offer Public IP address products?

So. A few months ago I was conned into giving up my slow - but reliable - ADSL Inet connection for the disaster known as the NBN. With 20- 40 dropouts a day and the NBN folk not giving a toss I tried to go back to ADSL (I had looked at wireless broadband a couple of years ago but no network provided Public IP Adresses) but was told it is not possible.

My provider then asked if I wanted to go to Wireless Broadband as they now supplied Public IP Addresses. Fantastic - finally! And it was on the Optus network even better!! However, turns out they dont know what a ' Public IP Address' is and the product (200GB for $59) uses the Optus subnet.

So OPTUS. In an open question, using your own forum - and hopefully answered by someone involved in generating revenue and/or with understanding of the mobile broadband market - I ask; Why does Optus not provide residential broadband products using Public IP Addresses? There is a very ready market - with technical savvy folk needing Public IP Address connections - due to the NBN not performing.

I am stuck with the damned awful NBN as it now has a monopoly of Public IP Address broadband products. When are the mobile networks going to wake up to an untapped revenue earning opportunity?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: Why do Optus not offer Public IP address products?

Only a limited amount of ipv4 addresses available, they have auctions for blocks of them now, so handing them out isn't really an option.

Mobile broadband via optus business (smb)  offers public (static) ip addresses for $5 per month per service. Not available on wireless broadband not consumer plans.

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question?
Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I think @Paddylee gave a good explanation. I didn't realise how pricy the addresses have become. Here another Telco explains they pay $400,000 for 16,000 static IP addresses (a supply that lasts about 6 months) with price continuing to increase. 

I do wonder though as IPv6 has been around for over a decade no why the Telcos can't seem to move to the almost limitless amount of IP addresses this would provide.

As a seperate issue, the mobile wireless technology that Optus uses apparently has only a single global IP address and can't technically accomodate Static Ips no matter how much you want to pay (otherwise I'd just suggest using a service like DYDNS to keep devices up to date with your current IP address). 

On your NBN I take it your are FTTN? 

Peter Gillespie

Occasional Contributor SoFrustrated
Occasional Contributor

Then why do all NBN plans have Public IP addresses?

Yes, IPv4 has a limited number of addresses - approximatley 3.7 Billion - which is why IPv6 has been rolled out and steadily will taken up over the next 30-40 years.

However, currently, IPv4 is still available and hence all NBN plans have public IP addresses.

As I have pointed out in the original post Optus (and the other providers) are missing a trick; there is a market for products that have fixed IP addresses (I'm not talking Static IP addresses - DDNS has solved that can of worms - as that is a different matter and usually only needed now by large Internet sites/servers etc).

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

What's the difference between fixed and static IP addresses?
Top Contributors