cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Who should I pay, Optus or Commercial Credit?

As the title says, I have an outstanding debt (a couple of months old) with Optus that has since gone to Commercial Credit who is now hassling me to pay.

The full amount is almost $300, but CC is allowing me to pay $200. I'm wondering if there is a downside to paying the reduced fee - will my credit score be negatively impacted by settling with CC? Is it worth going to Optus instead and paying the full amount?

Or will it be affected any way and I may as well save myself the $100

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: Who should I pay, Optus or Commercial Credit?

You have to pay Optus bills, if you have any.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hey @chetan85 - Great question.

If this is the agreed amount that the agency has specified for you to pay, it's best to pay this amount as soon as possible. Once you've paid this, the owing amount will be gone.

Depending on the scenario though, this may have impacted your credit rating as it has gone to a debt agency. I'd recommend speaking to them over the phone (Depending on the agency) and seeking clarity as to what the next steps may be.

If you did need further clarity, your best bet is to chat to our team > https://app.optus.com.au/msg-us?tags=OCAYCMSG or over the phone

Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

I don't believe Optus will allow you to pay now if you offered.

The question is, are CC acting on behalf of Optus or have they just bought the debt from Optus? (They may have paid Optus say $20 for the debit and be happy to get anything above that from you)

As mentioned the default is likely recorded on your credit record. Do apply for that (it should be free). Optus will have listed the default but it can't be removed (for 7 years). You can only record the fact you have paid it (which unless you pay Optus might not be possible)

Check with Optus directly about if they have any outstanding bill on your record.
0 Kudos
Top Contributors