Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Sujon
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

When Will Optus Release a $10 Per Month Phone Plan

Hey All,

Anyone know if Optus will someday (hopefully soon) release a $10 per month mobile phone plan for unlimited talk and text and 1GB or so of data. This would be ideal for elderly customers like my mum. I had her with Optus on a $30 per month prepaid, unlimited talk and text and 3GB of data. It was great that the data rolled over each month up to 15GB, but she had no use for it even though the grandkids did their best to max it out. Even then, it still went to waste.

Most elderly people I know just need unlimited talk and text and a little data to download the occasional photo of grandkids and to check emails. Companies like Southern Phone and Amaysim offer these plans for $10 a month so I ported my mum over, but would have preferred to kept her with Optus.

Would love Optus to get on board...even if it's only restricted to pensioners.

Sujon

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Mike-N
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

Re: When Will Optus Release a $10 Per Month Phone Plan

Hello Sujon, 

Thanks for taking the time to send through your feedback regarding our offers and the need for an offer such as the one you describe above. I can certainly see the appeal of such a deal and I've flagged your post as feedback regarding our mobile plans 🙂 Our current My Prepaid Long Expiry gives you 186 days of credit expiry and low rates for calls, text, and data. It would really depend on how much data you were using though as it's charges at $0.05 per MB. 

Please reach out if you need help with anything else in the future or have any other suggestions, ideas, or feedback 🙂 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Cally
New Contributor
New Contributor

This is not the solution.

the solution is to introduce a $10.00 monthly plan for the elderly. calls are what is required and perhaps a small amount of data. couple of texts. nothing more. NO CATCHES!

0 Kudos
Dan_C
Retired Employee
Retired Employee

@Cally, you can also add a data add-on to the Long Expiry offer.

You can add 500MB for $10.00. I do need to note that date add-on will expire after 14 days. 

A recharge of $10.00 will last you for 45 days. I know it's not the solution that you're after, but it's closest thing we have at this stage.

For more info check out the Long expiry plan CIS.

If you have any questions, let us know 🙂  

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
TrainsSol
Contributor
Contributor

I am currently on a $19 a month 3G plan that has 200 minutes of talk time, unlimited text & upto 200Mb data which I never use as I cannot see myself looking at internet & movies on a 37x 50mm screen on my Optus X-lite mobile.

I have recently asked Optus if there was a  plan that is just phone talk  & text with no data  & the answer was No - it was on the old 2G network but not on the later networks.

Dan_C
Retired Employee
Retired Employee

@TrainsSolIt sounds like an old legacy offer. If you're happy to stick with your current rate plan, you're well within your right to. If you'd like to explore other options, then the prepaid long expiry plan might also work for you. Data is option on these plans. How many calls and text would you say to make on a week-week basis? 

@Jonsnow987, thanks for the input! Good information, but those type of high end plans are really intended for those with high usage needs.

If we're talking a cheap prepaid plan for someone that only requires the absolute basics, the prepaid long expiry plan is definitely the way to go! 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
TrainsSol
Contributor
Contributor

On average per week, about 20 minutes of talking & 100 text.

Ron

Toomey
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

@TrainsSol Check out the Long Expiry plans here. A $10 recharge lasts 45 days. Calls cost 5c per minute and texts are 5c each so this would essentially provide 200 minutes or 200 texts within 6 weeks.

This wouldn't be enough to cover the average usage you have mentioned, but if you use more on some weeks than others, it could be a suitable alternative. A $20 recharge would also last for 3 months.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
TrainsSol
Contributor
Contributor

My plan which is no longer available to new customers for $19 a month,  is $10 for talking  - 200 minutes & free text  & $9 for data which I never use.

But it looks like all plans include some cost for data and to many, that is not required.

0 Kudos
Cally
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thanks, i decided to go with Southern Phone for my parents. $12.00 each a month, unlimited talk, text and 1gb data. And the funniest bit??? you have the choice of going through optus or telstra. You'd think the big telco's would give consumers who are elderly and not interested in the internet a better deal hey!

0 Kudos