cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
New Contributor HamedF
New Contributor

What is the point of 133937 as a service?

I am wondering if any one involved with the 133937 system has ever actually used the system or been on Facebook to see the thousands of complaints about it? 

It is impossible to navigate, has too many irrelevant options (I mean, you try options to get to sales for a new account and it asks fro your existing optus account!) and almost always ends up either in a circular loop within a menu or back to start until your customer gives up in frustration. 

Absolutely pathetic to be honest. 

PS tried to go through 133937 to actually lodge this complaint but the menu doesn't seem to exist!

4 Replies
RetiredModerator Shauna
RetiredModerator

Re: What is the point of 133937 as a service?

Hey @HamedF - thanks for reaching out and providing feedback on our IVR. 

Although we completely get how frustrating it is to have so many different prompts to get through to a department, this is to ensure you don't end up in the wrong place & to avoid transfers. 
Happy to flag this post as feedback to the team whom manages our IVR.

What department were you trying to get through to? Perhaps we can lend a hand? 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
New Contributor HamedF
New Contributor

To be perfectly honest, its not a single time. I just go to sales and request a transfer now because the menus are not useful. I have found that is the shortest process and it only takes about 5-10 minutes to achieve on a good day.

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Shauna
RetiredModerator

Yeah, I get what you're saying here. Apologies for the run around @HamedF
Is there anything we can lend a hand with? 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor Ulysses
Occasional Contributor

You’re IVR team are simply creating the vectors and routing options as requested. I was involved in th early days of setting up call centres and building IVR solutions so it’s good to see that IVR design best practices we established back then are still used today: Never offer more than 5 options per menu. No more than 3 menus per call. Provide an option for all common call types. Avoid repetitive on-hold messaging. Offer call back. Avoid repeating telling customers to go to your website. 

It’s interesting that Optus do appear to follow guidance on the max 5 options per menu practice but they also offer way more than 3 menus. 

On time customers sit on hold - I actually think Optus performs pretty well (yes and I too have sat on hold for more than 30 minutes before giving up). There is an common industry calculation used to determine how many people they need manning the phones at any point in time (including peak demand predictors) -  called the Erlang Calculator. This takes into account a number of factors including call volume, average time on call, average wrap-up time, average time to answe etc. The last one ‘average time to answer’ is important because it’s this that explains why you wait longer for someone to answer a technical issue than a sales call - Optus will have factored in the ‘acceptable’ wait time for each call type within the IVR vector based on an Erlang calculation. So if you always seem to wait twice as long on hold for a technical issue as  you do for a sales call, that’s because technical problems are less important to Optus than sales - simple.

......one last one - yes I always created a ‘test’ vector to route me straight to an agent normally (using Avaya for example) a five digit Vector number - get one of those  umbers and you’re straight through 😜

0 Kudos
Top Contributors