Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
MattyAu
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

What is the best route to take?

Hey Gang, 

On January 10th I was violently assulted in an unprovoked attack, I am vision impaired already, but the attack left me with a broken nose, smashed eye socket and lacerations to my eye. 

I am seeing 6/60 at the moment without glasses, and can't be fitted for new ones until my nose heals entirely. 

I'm in a tricky situation, 

I want to upgrade to a S21 Ultra, however, days before I could do this my phone started throwing a mositure detected warning which hasn't gone away. 

I have insurance on my phone, but I doubt Optus will accept it for a trade up whilst it has this message. 

I need a working phone 100% whilst I deal with drs, police and I also work in broadcast so I can't be left without a phone. 

Is there a way Optus could assist me? 

Can I pay the insuarcnce fee with a trade up, or can someone shed some light on what happens if a phone isn't accepted for a trade up? 

Need More Help?

Call 133 937

Chat with an Optus Sales/Support rep from the Optus App, or Optus.com.au/support

Are you heading into store?

Remember to bring 100 points of photo ID with you soo Optus staff can access your account.

Feedback

Did I resolve your issue today? - Please take a moment to let me know that you received my reply and the outcome of your issue. If you happy with the help I provied please consider a "Kudos!" - Thank you!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: What is the best route to take?

What insurance do you have on the phone? Optus Insurance?

You should be covered for water damage (excess payable $175)

However you will need to get the phone repaired first before starting the upgrade process - two totally separate processes and the fix must happen before the upgrade (as Optus will just reject a water damaged phone outright)

Unfortunately the Optus insurance process appears somewhat haphazard and can take weeks to get through. Options vary depending on who you talk to last. In some cases Optus will offer a replacement phone for your use while the other one is being assessed. Suggest you go into a store and see what they can sort.

Alternatively the S21 is a $2000 phone. Perhaps just grab a $100 one from Coles and put your SIM in. Sure its not going to be uber amazing but its quite impressive just how much of a smart phone you can get for $100 (or perhaps its impressive how phone companies can convince us to pay 2000% more for something that's only 100% better?)

Anyhow, the phone would make a good emergency back up (once done with you can keep it in a drawer but also as another option just get a $10 a year Amaysim plan. Phone can sit able to get calls from sources and otherwise costs nothing.

However all this is not your biggest problem. Unfortunately Optus insist that the phone you give back to them (for upgrade) MUST be the same phone as they sold you. Not the same model the exact same phone. Unfortunately water damage is generally considered unrepairable and its very likely your insurance claim will result in you being given a refurbished phone as a replacement.

Perhaps your best bet is to go to a phone repair place and see if they can't open it up dry it out and stop the moisture warning. Then just hand it in for the upgrade and cross fingers.
Tuong_YC

Hey @MattyAu, thanks for reaching out. Its certainly not great to see that this has happened to you. I sincerely hope you are doing alright now and are recovering well.

If you have Insurance attached to your service, the damage can be accessed and restored. I would recommend submitting an Optus Insurance Claim and heading into store where the device will be sent off for technical analysis.

From there, our tech teams will review the handset and provide you with some more information on how to move forward. I should mention that you will need the IMEI number of your mobile, proof of purchase, insurance information and any documents that supports accidental damage such as a police report. 

Before heading into store, I would also suggest just having a read of our Insurance which will provide you with some more information on the process and restoration 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

MattyAu
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for that information,

I am actually an ex Optus sales associate myself, it looks like it has $1100 handset repayments still oweing on it,

So to upgrade im looking at $1100 for handset repayment, given my circumstances can Optus assist in any way with covering some of this fee under compasionate grounds?

My life has been turned upside down, I can't see, drive or work at the moment. My account is up to date with billing and I've been a customer for over a decade.

It's also worth expressing that this phone has not been submerged or exposed to water. I beleive it's been caused by humidity. 

signal-2021-02-17-121213.jpegsignal-2021-02-17-121222.jpeg

Need More Help?

Call 133 937

Chat with an Optus Sales/Support rep from the Optus App, or Optus.com.au/support

Are you heading into store?

Remember to bring 100 points of photo ID with you soo Optus staff can access your account.

Feedback

Did I resolve your issue today? - Please take a moment to let me know that you received my reply and the outcome of your issue. If you happy with the help I provied please consider a "Kudos!" - Thank you!

0 Kudos
Tuong_YC

Whilst I can certainly appreciate where you are coming from @MattyAu, I should set the expectation that the chances of having a $1100 waived or reduced for an upgrade will be unlikely to happen.

You are more than welcome to follow the insurance procedures and have your current handset restored.

If you would like to discuss this further I would recommend having a chat to our Financial Hardship teams whom will be able to look into your circumstance and organise a payment plan. I should preface though that this is not an offer or guarantee to have the device repayment waived or reduced.

The teams will look into your situation and advise further. Just send them the police report of your assault and the teams will work out a payment arrangement to pay off your current device -Quade

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Probably worth toning down the photos Matty? Its a public forum. While I think your recent assault is awful I'm not really sure why you feel it is connected to Optus?

You have a good phone, you have insurance for it and you have a free upgrade path for a latest model $2000 a phone for just $99. You can grab a $100 phone today if you need a stop gap.

Note that the Optus 12 month upgrade process doesn't require you to pay out the $1100. You just hand back the phone in good condition and pay $99 and sign up for another 2-3 years with Optus.

FWIW no one on this forum can 'reach out' or anything. No mod can see your account or change anything. You'll need to talk to an agent via Facebook or Twitter. I don't wee them doing much but refer you to the Optus Hardship line and again its pretty hard to argue hardship when you're actually trying to sign up for a new $2000 phone and another $2000 Optus plan.
Lauramayb
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hell! Looks like a nasty injury - sorry to hear. 

Here’s a non-technical solution that could be worth a try - stick the phone in a bucket of rice overnight? I’ve been surprised how often this basic trick has saved a device I’d thought was dead for sure. 

...then I guess try rebooting or even factory resetting the phone? Obviously, save a backup first! 

I know that’s simplistic, but if it works, it should get rid of the message and then you could just give it a wipe down and go ahead with the original plan. Good luck!