cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Sorby1
New Contributor
New Contributor

What iPhone applications cause BitTorrent to appear in data breakdown?

I have always assumed BitTorrent was the traditional definition (P2P file sharing), but I'm not actively doing that on any of my devices that I know of. 

Optus.jpeg

I have spoken directly with Optus Support, asking them for a list of apps that might cause data to be grouped under the BitTorrent category (a fairly standard question I would have thought), but they were unsure. Obviously when the categories are set up, devs would categories apps accordingly so the list must exist. 

It is using considerable data. I did note that my data plan is no longer available through Optus (you have to either pay less or more, my $49/month doesn't exist). In past months, I wouldn't even come close to using my total Gb/month, but I am now on the verge of going past my limit. 

Does anyone have any ideas?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Kristy_YC

Re: What iPhone applications cause BitTorrent to appear in data breakdown?

@Sorby1

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. 

Some apps and processes will keep using data in the background unless you change their settings to prevent it. You can find some further information here → https://www.optus.com.au/for-you/support/answer?id=1723.

If you require some further assistance, please send us a message on Facebook/ Twitter. 

0 Kudos
Sorby1
New Contributor
New Contributor

Hi thanks for this. I am aware that data is used continually by certain apps, but this doesn't assist with narrowing down what apps are grouped under BitTorrent. As I said, BitTorrent is a very specific service so you'd think if I was using 30% of my data towards a torrenting service I would know about it!
0 Kudos
Kristy_YC

@Sorby1

Ahh I see. Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us. I understand you've previously spoken to our Support Team. In this case, we are happy to get this raised for you. 

For us to do so, please send us a Facebook PM/ Twitter DM. We will continue to assist you there. 

0 Kudos
Sorby1
New Contributor
New Contributor

Ok will do thanks
0 Kudos
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

The only reliable way to identify offending apps is to use data monitors that are actually on your phone, even the built in ones will provide better info than what the Optus app provides.

Optus' classification leaves a lot to be desired. If you search yescrowd you'll find threads about Net.hr going back about a year I think and Optus is unable (or unwilling) to provide any info about that classification. If you find out anything about Net.hr I'd love to hear about it.

BitTorrent is even an wider net than Net.hr as things like game updates are known to use it. Movie downloads (not streaming) is another big usage scenario that can done via BitTorrent.
Top Contributors