cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
New Contributor Janedoe
New Contributor

What do I do with my old phones and SIM cards?

Hi My Optus Community

I hope someone can help me. I've asked few optus store staff who said I don't have to do anything but I'm also hearing there is stuff to do so I want to be sure and have proof in writing.

I have few old mobile phones (not smart phones but one of those $40-50 samsung mobile phones) and SIM cards/ numbers. I was wondering what do I do with my old phones? do I cut the SIM card in half and bin it? Is it best to block SIM and handset imei number before doing anything? and anything else?

Every time I buy a new phone, there's a recycling bag in the new phone box where I can post my old phone but I want to make sure I did everything I was suppose to do before I send it and there's no personal detail of mine that can end up in the wrong hands?

Because I have to give my drivers license whenever I buy a new mobile phone (always the $50 phone. I don't see the point in smart phones. I just need to text and call), I'm worried under my name on some optus system, there's multiple phones that I don't use anymore because it was broken/ not the right plan/ spam/ etc and later that'll get me randomly hasseled by police or some department because I didn't know I had to do something with my old phones.

Also, while on the topic, how many numbers can I legally have? I want one for work and one for my family and friends but I see CSI documentaries and having more than one is somehow seen as always bad or is it tv once again making things dramatic (cause few of business people I know have 2 numbers)?

Lastly, I heard SIM mobile numbers get recycled. I was wondering if my old number end up in the wrong hands can they get my personal details just by my old number?

Thank you for reading this far. Look forward to hearing from you and getting some peace of mind.

Thank you in advance Smiley Happy 

10 Replies
Crowd Champion caaf
Crowd Champion

Re: What do I do with my old phones and SIM cards?

Well Ms Doe there's been allot of thinking there.. Let's see if we can work through the post.

A1.This being an open public forum I'm not sure if my words can be classed as gospel but hey it'll be in writing Smiley Tongue

A2. If the SIM cards are from a prepaid and/or previous postpaid account (basically a deactivated sim) just chop and bin them.

A3. Why block the IMEI on the handset? Could you not just reset the phones and sell/give away/trade/recycle/donate the devices?

A4. Police? Really? You own them and you can have as many phones as you'd like, certainly no law against that!

A5. Again you can have as many numbers as you like.. That's if you're happy paying the bills! I do recal telcos do have a number restriction, at a guess it could be up to five prepaid unless of course you're a business!? Really I have know idea. Still the TV watching may creating most of these questions I'm guessing.

A6. Yes numbers do get recycled, at a guess it'll be a year or so after last expiry. Might even be more time! Your details don't follow the recycled number as that'll defeat the purpose of the word "recycle", as a note the sims becomes deactivated six months from the last expiry.

Hopefully you envied the read Smiley Wink
Cheers Dave

Note..This is an open and public support forum please refrain from posting private/personal information. Smiley Wink
I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
New Contributor Janedoe
New Contributor

Thank you so much Dave Smiley Happy

New Contributor contentsec
New Contributor

lol Cat Happy

Occasional Contributor StevenDon
Occasional Contributor

Hi Janedoe,
Date has pretty much answered everything, but I work for an ewaste company, so can give some other options.

Firstly, those CSI shows are mostly make believe. Sure they can check dna, but it can't be done in minutes, and it needs a more substantial sample than they use on TV.

Anyway. The recycling options.
The company I work for recycles all sorts of electronic and electrical waste. TV's, computers, printers, mobile phones, etags and much more. We even get fridges and air conditioners in occasionally.
Mostly we strip the items down to their components and sell the components off shore where they end up being processed further.
Recently I've seen what happens to the plastic from the back of TV'S. It is processed into a wood like material which is used in a similar manner, but much stronger. Excellent for marine applications.
Some phones are repaired and securely wiped and sold to the Asian and Indian market, and other markets where there's a need, but they can't afford to buy a new Samsung or IPhone.

Other phones that aren't suitable for that kind of recycling are striped down to their individual components and recycled aim the same manner as the other items.

I haven't had a recycling bag in any of my boxes.
Anyways, I work for a mob called MRI Aust. We have a factory in Melbourne and Sydney as well as most other states, but some other states may be under different names as they may be subs.

Hope that helps too.

Regards
Moderator Alistar

Thanks for giving us some more options with that great info StevenDon Smiley Happy

Alistar.

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

Occasional Contributor StevenDon
Occasional Contributor

You're very welcome.
0 Kudos
New Contributor LeeNguyen
New Contributor

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Pete
RetiredModerator

Hey LeeNguyen, need a hand with anything?

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

New Contributor niss71
New Contributor

If you call "Mobile Muster''  In which is a victorian company. they will send you a jiffy bag that is free post from anywhere in australia. The bags are included with the purchase of most samsung phones over $100. though you can still call them to get a "free post'' satchel. be worth asking for a couple if you have a few phones to send. They are also proudly sponsored by australia post. i dare say the free satchels will be available at the post office.They say that over 90 percent of the metals and plastics can be recovered to make new products like fence posts, stainless steel and jewellry. office works also has a big cardboard box at the front of each store where you can recycle your phone. if putting things in a bag make sure any accessories are wrapped up seperately so that they do not damage the phone and if you are only recycling a battery, make sure that it is wrapped in bubble wrap or similar and seal completely so that it does not come into contact with anything else in the satchel. you need to sign a declaration on the back of the bag to ensure you will follow those particular instructions for safety reasons. enquiries 1300 730 070

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Top Contributors