cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
New Contributor jjaavv
New Contributor

What are the best "Top Pick" Optus mobile phones?

We have very poor Telstra & Optus coverage. We're using an iPhone6 and aniPhone SE. Both work very poorly, with calls dropping out, even when used in conjuction with WiFi. A neighbour is using an old Samsung phone that works beautifully. Where can I find a list of Optus phones to replace my iPhones?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: What are the best "Top Pick" Optus mobile phones?

What post code are you in?

Reception is a bit pot luck. There's no one brand that has excellent reception per say. Individual handsets might vary (usually to the poorer). Buying any specific phone is just as likely to give the same or worse reception than your current ones.

If your neighbours Samsung works so well why not just by the same model they have? Have you confirmed what network they are on? Possibly Vodaphone is working better in your area?

If you're asking for a list of what phone Optus sells then its available from the main page of their website.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
New Contributor jjaavv
New Contributor

4272 is the our code, but specifically we're at the Mt Tamborine Confertence Centre on 34 acres. And as 80 year olds, we'd like to be able to use our phone inside, not having to walk around the property to find a connection.  Specifically, since we've already spent $1200 on two iPhones, we'd like to get a cheaper "Top Pick" phone and try it. And if it doesn't work, to return it. 

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Hadn't come across the "top pick" campaign before. IMO largely marketting gumph, but probably better than a dart board right? 

I spent a bit of time navigating the Optus website but that 2016 article is the only reference I can find to the "top pick" campaign now. Perhaps a mod can locate the current page.

Optus do have a 30 day return the phone offer, however the catch appears to be you will be up for the first months payment if you decide to return the phone.

Looking at your location you do appear to be tucked up out of the way a bit. You could try grab a cheap prepaid vodaphone SIM card and put it in your current phone to see what sort of reception they give (although their coverage map also peters out just before you it seems)

I'd say again that perhaps your best bet is to go with 'proven' technology and get a second hand version of the handset your neighbour has. Likely pretty cheap these days. Failing that, go with the Samsung brand and get oneof those from Optus. 

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
New Contributor jjaavv
New Contributor

Thanks Peter,

We have tried Vodaphone with our two iPhones, and there appeared to be no improvement at all. We will be visiting an Optus shop on Wednesday and will ask about taking an inexpensive Optus phone to try it here on the mountain.  People on the pension do have limitations.  As we've often said to the sales people - All we want is a working phone! 

We do have a VoIP option to work off the W-Fi I'm told, but that will be an extra $20 every month too. I think all this could be fixed if both Telstra and Optus would put a more powerful transmitter here on Tamborine Mountain.

Thanks again,

Jim  (jjaavv)

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Hi Jim,

Not an unreasonable request, but as you've noted not necessarily straight forward. The expence of a phone has little to do with their reception capabilities (and much more to do with useless things like how thin they are and pretty they look). So just what phone is pretty pot luck. I'm not sure what flexability Optus (or any Telco) would have loaning out test phones for a few weeks then swapping for another. Its doable but not how they're geared IME. You'd be best off talking in a local Optus store IMO and seeing if you can't arrange for that face to face.

You seem unwilling to buy the same model as your neighbour which according to you should work fine? If you want to tell us the model number then we could offer some indication of the cost and availability. NB There's no need to change plans when buying a phone just swap over the existing SIM. 

One other thought is that 2G, 3G and 4G have different reception capabilities. Check your iPhone settings and try force it to only use each network in turn for a few days. See if that changes your reception capability?

Also do you know when the NBN arrives in your area?

Peter Gillespie

RetiredModerator Felicity_YC
RetiredModerator

Hi @jjaavv

When you say that your neighbour uses a Samsung and doesn’t experience drop outs, is that at your property or his? If it’s the former I can understand wanting to try his handset, but if it’s the latter you could talk through your options when you visit the Yes store on Wednesday to make sure that you’re choosing the best option for your location. Have you ever experienced drop outs in locations other than your property?

Doing some troubleshooting to your current handset is a good idea, check your SIM card is placed correctly, do a reset (press and hold the Power button for a few seconds until the Drag to Power Off screen appears, turn phone off, wait 30 seconds, press and hold the Power button again until the Apple logo appears), and make sure your software is up to date, for example.

As for new handsets, the Samsung Galaxy S9, Huawei Mate 10 Pro, and the HTC U11 are Optus top picks for regional coverage. You can read about the 30 Day Network Satisfaction Guarantee here: http://www.optus.com.au/about/network/regional-coverage

Hopefully your visit to the store is successful and you leave with some good advice or a handset you're happy with. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Top Contributors