Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Highlighted
New Contributor Helix
New Contributor

Wear and tear - yearly upgrade

Hey there, 

Thinking about upgrading to an iPhone 11 Pro max from my Note 9 with the yearly upgrade option. Only problem, somehow I've cracked the glass over the heart rate sensor (it still works). Would this be ruled under wear and tear? Or would it affect my ability to upgrade? Cheers.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Wear and tear - yearly upgrade

Definitely. Any cracks or chips require the glass replaced when returned (scratches ok). Optus generally charge around $250 for replacing glass.

Basically take up the upgrade offer as usual. Once you have your new phone you hand the other one back in (either by store or an Optus provided satchel) . After a month or two you will be told the repair price and can agree in which case it will be added to your bill.

Peter Gillespie
New Contributor Helix
New Contributor

Thanks Peter. If I upgrade, but then refuse the repair cost, what happens?

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

then you will pay the remaining amount left on your device and the full cost of that will be split up over 3 months of your bill ontop of your new upgrade plan
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

My understanding is that once you take the upgrade option you then only have two options when it comes to the old phone:
1) Pay any repair cost Optus quotes (and Optus keeps the repaired phone)
2) Pay the full fair market value (that Optus decides) for your phone (and you keep the unrepaired phone)

If you choose nothing then option 2 will be chosen for you. Either way the amount will be added to your bill.

Peter Gillespie
New Contributor Helix
New Contributor

Awesome, thanks for that guys. This is my first time doing a yearly upgrade, so this really cleared things up.
0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

PS TEchnically you have to get the phone repaired by Optus (or the manufacturer) but if you get the glass switched over for less at a shopping centre I don't think they're going to notice.

Peter Gillespie
0 Kudos
Top Contributors