cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
New Contributor Kaitlyn018
New Contributor

Was given iPhone 6 when wanted 6s

I updated my phone plan and phone at an Optus store and the girl who served me brought out an iPhone 6 and when I asked if it was a 6 or 6s she said a 6 they’re basically the same and I said don’t they have a different camera and she said no they’re the same so she proceeded to register the iPhone 6 to my account. I got home and set it up the next day only to be disappointed after one day. The phone was not only laggy (I did all recent updates) but the battery didn’t seem to be as good as it should be for a brand new phone it was about same as my 2 1/2 yr old iPhone. I then also noticed the camera quality wasn’t as good as my iPhone SE which is supposed to be the same as the 6s and there is not Live Photos or front flash. I then looked up the specs of the iPhone 6s and 6 and there is many differences between the two. Safe to say I am not happy as I did say I prefered the iPhone 6s because I wanted better camera quality and specs but I was told they were te same and they definitely are not. The new iPhone is now sitting back in its packaging and I’m still using my old phone.
Im wondering if there is anything I can do to swap to the iPhone 6s if I’d be paying the same amount of money (same phone plan as far as I can tell) without costing me any fees.
I called Optus support today and the guy on the phone didn’t really know anything but said it’s possible to swap but said I need to go into an Optus store and they will change it for me.... rather than wasting a trip of it’s not possible as I’ve been busy with work would like to find out on here first what is possible.
Thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
New Contributor Kaitlyn018
New Contributor

Was given iPhone 6 when I wanted 6s

I updated my phone plan and phone at an Optus store and the girl who served me brought out an iPhone 6 and when I asked if it was a 6 or 6s she said a 6 they’re basically the same and I said don’t they have a different camera and she said no they’re the same so she proceeded to register the iPhone 6 to my account. I got home and set it up the next day only to be disappointed after one day. The phone was not only laggy (I did all recent updates) but the battery didn’t seem to be as good as it should be for a brand new phone it was about same as my 2 1/2 yr old iPhone. I then also noticed the camera quality wasn’t as good as my iPhone SE which is supposed to be the same as the 6s and there is not Live Photos or front flash. I then looked up the specs of the iPhone 6s and 6 and there is many differences between the two. Safe to say I am not happy as I did say I prefered the iPhone 6s because I wanted better camera quality and specs but I was told they were te same and they definitely are not. The new iPhone is now sitting back in its packaging and I’m still using my old phone. 

Im wondering if there is anything I can do to swap to the iPhone 6s if I’d be paying the same amount of money (same phone plan as far as I can tell) without costing me any fees.

I called Optus support today and the guy on the phone didn’t really know anything but said it’s possible to swap but said I need to go into an Optus store and they will change it for me.... rather than wasting a trip of it’s not possible as I’ve been busy with work would like to find out on here first what is possible. 

Thanks 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Was given iPhone 6 when wanted 6s

Consumer Law covers this. Goods sold must meet representations made by the sales staff and obviously the 6s is not "the same phone" as the 6. Its fair to say though that the two phones are very close in most ways so probably not a deliberate attempt at deception but just the sales persons (incorrect) understanding of the model.

From the ACCC website:

Products must also:

• match descriptions made by the salesperson, on packaging and labels, and in promotions or advertising
  • match any demonstration model or sample you asked for
  • be fit for the purpose the business told you it would be fit for and for any purpose that you made known to the business before purchasing
  • meet any extra promises made about performance, condition and quality, such as life time guarantees and money back offers

FWIW the iPhone6s cammera is rated worse that the iPhone6 (esp. in low light) although you do get 4K recording (something probably not used a lot for space reasons) but the front camera is much better going from 1.5MP to 5MP. most of the other differences are fairly minor IMO alothough you should definitely get rid of an 'laggy' feel in the UI with the 6S model.

I think your best option is to take it back to the store (hopefully talk to the same salesperson) and say you we're misinformed that the 6 was the same as the 6s. Hopefully that's all you need to say and you'll get it swapped over on the spot. 

Good Luck

Peter Gillespie

Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Re: Was given iPhone 6 when wanted 6s

Hi there @Kaitlyn018

We're really going to need to perform an investigation into this one. This is really strange behaviour . The iPhone 6s was noted for its upgraded camera. 

You're saying that despite your request for an iPhone 6s, she refused and proceeded to sign you up for an iPhone 6?

Was there a stock issue with the 6s? 

Can you send us a private message? I'll need your full name, DOB and mobile number. I'll also need the name of the store you'd purchased the phone from. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Top Contributors