cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
New Contributor KPel
New Contributor

Wanting to unlock an Iphone 6 from Optus for overseas use

Hi there. After several calls to Optus, I still have a problem - hoping someone can help. I have read all the message boards relating to this.

I have an Iphone6 which I gave to my son who has gone to live in Chile (the phone had previously been under contract to Optus here by me).

Steps so far:

Whilst in Australia:

- I did a factory reset (no SIM in phone) 

- My son did a restore using Itunes

- He was able to use a non Optus SIM in Australia using the phone

Now overseas:

- He flew to Chile - phone locked

- I rang Optus twice - they say the phone is unlocked

- They contacted Apple and they say the phone is unlocked

- When he inserts a local SIM into the Iphone he gets an error saying that the SIM is incompatible with the phone and to contact thhe operator to unblock the phone'.

- On my last call to Optus said they'd escalate and come back to me (2 weeks ago) - noone has called back.

Any tips?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: Wanting to unlock an Iphone 6 from Optus for overseas use

iPhone 6's are definately unlocked.

So this has also been confirmed by Apple - so not sure what Optus could do - looks like its an issue with the provider in Chile.

Are several providers in Chile, have you tried others?

Perhaps its an issue witht he sim that they were provided?

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question?
Please remember to throw a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
New Contributor KPel
New Contributor

Hi there - thanks.

Yes he has tried several providers. And strangely he has been told that they have had this problem before with people who had Optus SIMS previously....

I'm wondering if there is any benefit in me sending an Optus SIM to Chile and then for him to repeat the 'reset to factory settings' step with the Optus SIM in the phone?

I wonder if that would make any difference or not?

Kath

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

When the phone boots for the first time (either brand new or reset or new sim) it checks for a valid sim, if its valid then it downloads that providers config file from an Apple server so it would know details such as how their voicemail operates etc.

What it looks like is that its not even getting to this stage, is there wifi available when the phone is switched on?

If it has an Optus sim it will try and load the Optus config file, which wont be of any help.

The phone may have been sourced from Optus, but no branding of any kind is on the device (except whats int he settings config file).

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question?
Please remember to throw a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
0 Kudos
New Contributor KPel
New Contributor

Thanks so much for that really clear explanation - that clarifies the role of the SIM in terms of the carrier.

Next step will be to just double check that he has wifi, then insert a SIM of a local carrier, and then reset to factory settings again in the hope thast it loads the appropiate config file.

I'll report back 🙂

Kath

0 Kudos
Top Contributors