Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
wbg
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Want to change postpaid mobile phone plans

My 2-year contracts on 2 mobile phones on the same account have just expired  I have paid off the 2 Galaxy S9+ phones.

I don't want new phones, so I would like to go onto SIM-only plans for the 2 phones which are different from the current plans. Ideally, I would like to get the Small (10GB/month) $39.00/month plan for one phone and the Medium (60GB/month) $49.00/month for the other phone.

I have 2 questions:

1. Does the Data Share work between those 2 plans on the same account?

2. How do I actually change the plans, given that I can't change it (currently) on the Optus Mobile App because it requires chatting to someone which is currently not possible because of Covid 19?

Thanks and cheers

Bill

0 Kudos
4 Replies
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Want to change postpaid mobile phone plans

Definitely good savings to be made now you've paid off the phones.

1) Yes the data share is automatic

1.5) Suggest you also consider a long term prepaid option for the smaller amount as post paid is not very good value at these data level IMO.

Optus have 10Gb a month for effectively $15 here Not sure if you would count as a new customer though.

Boost Mobile have similar deals that last a year ($12.50 for 10Gb or $25 for 20Gb a month)

2) That is the tricky bit. You should just be able to sign up to a new plan online. There should be a spot to say you are an existing customer and to port you number. Otherwise you can sometimes get through but it takes a long time and multiple goes.

wbg
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the response.

I am, however, not comfortable with the 'porting process' since I had a very bad experience with that 2 years ago. I would prefer to just change my plans using the change plans process in the Optus App which appears to be unavailable at the moment. It would be great to be able to talk to somebody in Optus about this - I will not set foot in the Optus Shop in Westfield, Bondi Junction with which I had the terrible experience 2 years ago! Anyhow, since I am 76, I am not leaving home for this.

Cheers, Bill

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Was the port issued with Optus too?

Account updates are currently very low priority at Optus. It will take hours to get though and they'll likely hang up if your issue is not a critical one . So if you only want that option then all you can do is keep calling and waiting or leave a message on the Optus app.

If the numbers are not important (and these days is pretty easy to tell every one your new number for there contacts update) then you could order the Boost SIMs delivered while the Optus ones are just left as is. Saves a fair amount of money too.

But FWIW porting goes fine 99% of the time and having ported once it's almost certain this will go smoothly. But only you can decide on that.

Good luck

0 Kudos
wbg
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thanks

0 Kudos