Searching...

Mobile

Accepted Solution

WI-FI Calling on Prepaid?

[ Edited ]
corbsp

Can I use WI-FI Calling on a prepaid modile phone using Optus NBN wifi and are such calls charged against my mobile phone credit? That is, an Optus prepaid mobile phone plan using a wifi call compatible android phone. 

Solution

Re: WI-FI Calling

pwright

Sorry Wifi Calling is only available to Post Paid Customers Smiley Sad

https://www.optus.com.au/shop/mobile/network/coverage/wifi-calling

Calls do come off the Postpaid Plans e.g Unlimited even when over Wifi Calling.

corbsp

Thank you for the feedback. Wondering why Optus restrict the availability of that function. Wondering why they charge twice for the service. Assume they charge a data usage over wifi and then call costs as well. Then assume they don't allow prepaid because their technology can't charge prepaid services for wifi calling data and call costs. Perhaps Optus should reconsider the services that they offer.

pwright

I dont think its a restriction, a lot of featurers are not available to prepaid customers, its often just limits of the billing system, to enable real-time usage of the Prepaid System. The Wifi Calling can be used on any network, not just Optus, so you would pay for your data on your Wifi Network with your provider, then the Call Costs with Optus.  As most plans now days all have unlimited calls, you wouldnt be double paying costs, just the data for the call off your Wifi Connection, this uses very little data, and most plans are unlimited data now days.  You could talk for the entire month, you would be lucky to reach 1 GB of data, its only VOIP call traffic.

Have you considered an Optus Sim Only Plan vs Prepaid to gain access?

corbsp

Non of what you said is very relevant to me but I do understand what you are saying and appreciate your feedback.

Zkunt77

So utterly pointless really then. It should be available to both post & prepayed consumers or none.. 

corbsp

Of course it should be available to all at no cost but that would impact on optus profits. They don't care much about service. Will never be available on prepay because they don't have the mechanisms to charge prepaid cudtomers twice.

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
111 Kudos
109 Kudos
76 Kudos
75 Kudos
75 Kudos