Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Voip over 4g wireless internet

Can Optus provide a VoIP connection over 4G wireless broadband. If so can someone provide me with a link to the plans and prices on their website.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Voip over 4g wireless internet

Optus does not sell such a plan. 

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question?
Please remember to throw a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I’m in the same predicament, having recently purchased a new Optus broadband internet with modem, and presently transferring dozens of my old ISP email addresses to my gmail so I can cancel my old ISP account, which has a voip number attached to it. I don’t want to keep paying my old ISP account just to keep a voip account active.

Is there a way to port the voip number and use an ATA device plugged into the Optus 4G broadband modem?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Blog Author

Wireless telephony was a product that was offered a few years back. 

It didn't prove to be very popular and was subsequently removed from our product line-up.

We cannot provision a VOIP service on your Wireless modem. The functionality simply isn't there. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Dan.

My old adsl modem has a dedicated voip port and as the adsl modem can’t utilise the broadband modem in the way for voip to work, I knew this method wouldn’t work.

However the other method of using voip is by plugging the phone into an ATA box which then plugs into one of the Ethernet ports on the modem. I thought the modem would just see the ATA as another device and transfer the data like any other device. Is that not how it works? Does the broadband modem need special settings to decipher the ATA signals?
0 Kudos