Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Mobile Outage Northern NSW has now been resolved 2PM AEDT
New Contributor JamesNicholson
New Contributor

Voice to MMS & "premium MMS"

I'm just trying to find a quick and easy way to get rid of unwanted services that I never wanted in the first place.

I was signed up for voice to MMS when signing on, like most other people. "free for the first month" seams harmless enough, and when you're told "you can just go online and turn it off" you don't think much of it.

That is until you try to switch it off. Online instructions on Optus website below.

VOICE TO MMS: FAQ, ADD OR REMOVE

Voice to MMS is a voicemail feature that converts spoken voicemail messages into audio files and then sends them to your mobile handset as an MMS.

How do the answering services differ?

How does Voice to MMS work & what does it cost?

How do I turn it on or off?

You can turn it on or off in My Account, steps below. If you want to turn it on, you must also have Voicemail active. See our article on activating voicemail if you need help.

To switch Voice to MMS off, log into My Account.  

Top of Form

was this article helpful?

WAS THIS ARTICLE HELPFUL?

Yes  No

SUBMIT

"You can turn it on or off in My Account, steps below. "

As you can see, there are no steps below. When you click the link to sign in, it just takes you to the dashboard, making it impossible to remove the service unless you call (I don't have time to wait on a phone for 20 minutes) or go to the store (obviously working all day).

These types of subscriptions are common with shady, online scammers when it's incredibly easy to sign up; but almost impossible to get out.  I would have expected the ACCC to be cracking down on these types of billing systems.

Which brings me to my next issue, premium MMS...

What is this? Why is it still available?

Is it so that a third party company can trick me into clicking a deceptive "subscribe" button on a website that subscribes me to a premium MMS service because they somehow have access to my billing information?

Who in their right mind would pay $6.99 per week for this?........I still don't know what it is!

After trying to "text stop" to the provided number twice with no success I managed to send it through 2 days later, or $6.35 in money terms according to them.( I seriously though as a society we were past this "crazy frog" MMS stuff )

I'll have to go into a store to resolve this as I doubt anything of value is going to happen on here.

Just thought I’d voice my concern on here in the hope that people don't get caught out like I did.

6 Replies
Moderator Vicky

Re: Voice to MMS & "premium MMS"

@JamesNicholson - Thanks for getting in touch with us James. I'm sorry to hear that there's been some issues getting your Voice to MMS add-on removed from your services. I'll pass your feedback on regarding the instructions on our website however this option should generally be in the settings option on your My Account and My Optus app.

As for premium content services, I recommend checking out our website here for more information on these service charges ? https://goo.gl/jPG2tS. If you weren't aware that you have been subscribed to them, what I can do is place a barring on it for you and raise a case so that they can get in contact in regards to those charges.

Both services can be removed via self-service - alternatively, our Live Chat team can organise this for you → http://www.optus.com.au/shop/notices/service-chat.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
New Contributor JamesNicholson
New Contributor

Hi Vicky,

I have checked in the settings option on My Account (website) and on My Optus app (phone). Nothing is there. I'd be happy for you to prove me wrong by posting a link that directs me straight there, or even some simple step by step instructions. I don't see why it should be that difficult though, unless it's purpose is to be difficult.

I also checked the website provided for the "premium" content issue. It directed me to a seperate optus website that i logged into and searched through to find instructions on reducing my "premium" spend.

Disappointingly the website wouldn't let me turn it off, instead it required me to use a slider to reduce my monthly "premium" spend from $200.00 (ludicrous amount of money) to $0. Regardless, this slider wasn't even there. I opened the same page on 3 different web browsers (chrome, explorer, firefox)but this slider did not appear.

So it appears that I'm still recieving a service that I didn't know I had, that I definitely don't want, and that i'm unable to remove before being charged for.

I'll have to take some time out of my work schedule to resolve this at an Optus store as clearly this is too difficult to solve online.

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Toomey
RetiredModerator

Hey James, below I have attached a screenshot from my personal My Account. From the Dashboard you should be able to go Your Services > Select Number > Settings > Voicemail > Message Delivery.

If this or any other online features aren't working, please jump into Live Chat and an agent will grab your details to assist from our end instead.

My apologies for the inconvenience trying to get this sorted.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
New Contributor EbonyJ
New Contributor

Hello,

Everything that happened to James has also happened to myself, I was unaware of voice to mms and premium charges that have been billed to my account, this is extremely disappointing. It should not be so difficult to access voicemail settings on your website through 'my account', this is extremely frustrating as well. Finding the account settings was impossible. It has changed since your screenshot. When I finally found the settings to turn off my 'voice to MMS' charges that I never wanted in the first place, your website returns an 'ERROR' message. Live chat has also been completely unresponsive. This is shocking. 

0 Kudos
New Contributor LMT80
New Contributor

This is exactly what I'm going through.  The Optus instructions only lead you to 'My Account'.  Nowhere can I find where settings are and how to turn this feature off, which I never asked for in the first place and costs money.  This is extremely poor form and dishonesty on behalf of Optus.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
New Contributor LMT80
New Contributor

Hello @EbonyJ , how did you eventually find Settings.  I hvae spoken with 2 'Live Chats' who have also sent me around and around in circles, before then telling me they are doing maintenance on the site.  

0 Kudos
Top Contributors