cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
New Contributor AndyMet
New Contributor

VoLTE / Samsung S8+ / incompatibility with Vodafone callers

Hi,

Can anyone offer assistance to a serious network incompatibility I found today?

I was called by a friend on the Vodafone Network (the call originated in Melbourne) and could not answer it with VoLTE turned on. As soon as I answered, the call would drop out. Upon turning VoLTE OFF, the calls proceeded normally.

Clearly this is not good.

Any help appreciated as I do like the VoLTE functionality, it's useless if it's not compatible with AU networks though.

-AndyMet

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: VoLTE / Samsung S8+ / incompatibility with Vodafone callers

First time I've seen this! Any chance you hard other friends/family/coworkers on the voda network that could help testing by calling you? Wouldn't hurt if you got Telstra and Optus customers to test as well just to be safe so it's clearer if it's an issue with Optus and Voda and not something else

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own
0 Kudos
New Contributor AndyMet
New Contributor

No I don't have other Vodafone contacts(to my knowledge anyway). This was a repeatable occurrence but only with 1 caller.

It is the first time I've experienced this and I have many Optus/Telstra contacts which work fine with my phone set to VoLTE. It appears VoLTE implementations do differ between networks and are not guaranteed to be compatible.

Let's see if anyone from Optus chimes in.

0 Kudos
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Hmmm yeah I would be interested to see the outcome and the confirmed cause. If it is a voda to Optus (or vice versa) it could be pretty bad given most handsets released in recent times are VoLTE compatible. But in the same light if that was the issue I would have expected to see more commentary around it as well.

Just to be safe, have you performed any of the standard trouble shooting like resetting network settings, reset phone, etc? 

Last question, were you ever a voda customer and ported your current number to Optus? Or with your friend/colleague, were they ever an Optus customer and ported their current number to Voda? 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own
0 Kudos
New Contributor AndyMet
New Contributor

Colleague ported from Optus to Voda 10 years ago.. interesting question...

Colleague has VoLTE enabled on handset but feature not always available on Voda network in South East Melbourne.

I've re-enable VoLTE as it has some advantages for me in rural Vic but cross-network incompatibility could be a big issue moving forward.

thanks

0 Kudos
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

10 years ago I'd say that's not a factor at all, but I guess it's possible. If you search around you'll find people having issues making/receiving calls to their old network shortly after porting but certainly not over an extended period of time and don't think VoLTE was even a thought back then.

Good luck with it all though, sorry I haven't been more help. 

Highlighted
Crowd Champion SillyGogo
Crowd Champion

itt could be a handset and vodafone issue. I have a Mi5S on the Vodafone VoLTE network, I usually not able to hear the other callers for incoming calls (from Optus caller), however, works fine for Vodafone callers. On the other hand the Huawei P9 Vodafone VoLTE works fine all the time, regardless of network source. 

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Top Contributors