Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Mobile Outage Northern NSW has now been resolved 2PM AEDT
Crowd Champion Davelew
Crowd Champion

Vivid Wireless

Hi

I am using Vivid wireless broadband whilst I have migrated from the cold of Sydney to Bowen in Queensland.

I am getting reasonable speeds of around 4 to 5mbps which is allowing me to stream video without problems.

What I don't understand, and I am hoping someone can explain, is when I download the Sydney Morning Herald from the iPad app a 30mb file can take 15 minutes. Not a major problem for me but it is playing on my curiosity.

Dave

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Re: Vivid Wireless

It means that Optus and that site/server have congestion or poor connectivity, if you can get 4-5 megabits on other things, its a speed issue within the Internet between Optus and the Network that the Site/App store is loading from.  Something upstream from Optus..

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Are the other speed tests and video on the same iPad? It might be something specific to the iPad in that instance but otherwise @Davelew says it would seem an issue with TheAge site. Can you try downloading the same file on a different PC to see?

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Crowd Champion Davelew
Crowd Champion

Hi @petergdownload

Yes, speed tests and video are on the same iPad. I can't download the file from any other device other than an iPad as the file is only available an the iPad app.

As both you and @pwright say it must be something upstream from Optus. The Fairfax sites are always a bit flaky so unless someone can provide further insights I will put it down to that.

Thanks for both of your thoughts.

Dave

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Crowd Champion SillyGogo
Crowd Champion

@DavelewSydney morning herald, geo tracked you and they misses you and trying to  persuade you to move back to Sydney. Maybe their server is congested at that time 

0 Kudos
Crowd Champion Davelew
Crowd Champion

@SillyGogo of course they miss me, whilst I am away I can still access the newspaper but I am not charged a subscription.

I think I have worked out why the site is slow, I use Getflix for some overseas tv so change the DNS address for vivid wireless. If I revert back to automatic DNS address I can download the newspaper at normally the speed I would expect. I still don't understand why it only seems to be the SMH site that has the show downloads.

0 Kudos