cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question

Yes Crowd will close and be redirected to Help & Support on the 1st November 2021. Thank you to every member who has made this community such a helpful and supportive place for customers and staff to interact to help serve along with improve our products and services. You will be missed.

Johno42
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: Visual voicemail

@GTFO

Thank you for the time you volunteer and where you try to help others. It is appreciated as it is often very difficult to obtain a straight answer from Optus in regards to some of their policies and proceedures. As I mentioned earlier even their paid CSRs are often not able to provide clear and accurate answers, so any help we can get is great.

Having said that when you say...

"Being no "Visual Voicemail" for Android users, how do they cope?" and "Some reason I dont remember using visual voicemail on my iphone 3gs back in the 3 mobile days, perhaps they did not have it then?"

This is where the discussion becomes difficult and strays from providing help and information into an area which I believe is not helpful.

I for one did not equip my company employees with Android phones, they are equipped with recent model Apple phones. This was a business decision for a variety of reasons. The fact that other businesses or individuals choose other technology is not relevant to this discussion.

We would hope to be able to use all the functionality that is available on these phones which are also sold by Optus, and not have some of it restricted by the carrier for whatever reason that they do so.

My staff would benefit greatly by having the functionality delivered via Visual Voicemail and while Optus do offer their own propriatery alternatives with an additional fee they are not integrated into the phone in the same manner in which VVM is, and the functionality as a whole is inferior.

Unfortunately Optus do not advise customers that some of the core functionality of the iPhone is restricted on the Optus network.

It is also difficult, no it is actually impossible, to find out what the criteria are for being given access to this functionality in the same manner that corporate customers can enjoy.

Its worthy of note that even Optus moderators in this forum are of the belief that VVM is available to business owners and have stated as much. This only adds to confusing and frustration when it comes to trying to make business decisions around which carrier to use.

Fauxreal
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thanks for making that clear.  I had to ask the question as I noted a dismissive tone in relation to what I see as this invaluable function and suspected you may be part of the agenda setting team at Optus.

I accept I was incorrect and thank you for clarifying.

In terms of "coping" I think we would all be fine without a telephone and noboday would actually die. 

In terms of convenience and productivity, visual voice mail is time saving in a number of ways.  

1/. Prioritisation of message. Jump to the important messages first - you dont have to listen to 3 or 4 less important messages before you can get to an important message from a family member. 

2/. When signal is weak and audio is unclear, you dont have to rely on the phone connection in real time like you do a phone call. Instead you use data to buffer the message and deliver it clearly when it is ready.

3/. Easily jump to a saved message that may be 10 deep in your voicemail system.  Using the existing system is pain to navigate to message number 10.  

Time saving estimate per day for me: at least 10 minutes. 

Fauxreal
New Contributor
New Contributor

@R38642

I have some good news if you only have one device.

I lodged a complaint with the TIO in regard to visual voice mail.  Optus failed to adequately notify consumers that Visual Voicemail is not activated on the network and Optus agreed to release me from my contract.  I have had an Iphone X for about 3 weeks and they agreed at no cost. 

The catch for me however is that I have 2 other phones, 2 LTE Ipads and Apple Watch on different contract dates and so it would be costly to pay out all of the contracts and move to Telstra.

I encourage anyone to do the same if you are disappointed that Optus doesnt offer a basic Iphone function such as Visual Voicemail.

Step 1: Contact Optus Customer Service and request 'disconnections' - they always answer the fastest!

Step 2: Let them know you want to cancel your Iphone contract at no expense because key function is switched off and Optus did not adequately inform you. As usual get ready for some scripted response that makes you want to rip your hair out but make sure they log your call.  

Step 3: Contact the TIO - https://www.tioonline.com.au/consumers/new/

Step 4: Watch Optus suddenly excel at customer service now the watchdog is on to them.  They will call you in matter of minutes wanting to resolve this problem.  This is the stage they will release you from your contract.

Step 5: Move to Telstra or Vodaphone where you can achieve Visual Voicemail and full Iphone functionality.

Good luck!

Tropheus
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

“Re: Visual voicemail

Its only available for certain Business & Enterprise accounts - so unless you have one of those there is not a way.“

Why is this pinned as a solution?

It seems that the “solution” is to start a company just so you can obtain this feature...???

This is a basic feature that’s been instantly available from both Vodafone and Telstra from when Apple first released it. No business/company required...

Great solution...!

Johno42
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

@Tropheus@GTFO

Its not really a solution at all.

No where does Optus provide the detail of what companies are or are not able to get Visual Voicemail.

Our company, which operates with an ACN and ABN and is registered for GST is not able to access Visual Viocemail.

Despite spending hours, actually MANY hours, attempting to find out what the qualifications or limitations are for a company to get access Optus point blank to provide any information there is still no formal statement by Optus, only unnoficial information channels like this that are not providing accurate information.

The majority of Optus Staff will point blank state that Visual Voicemail is not offered by Optus. When you provide the CSR's with the detail that they do for some companies, they will then pass you up the chain.

Eventually if you are lucky you will get an admission that in fact Visual Voicemail is available to Corporate Customers (they never mention Businesses), and as such it is not open to clients who are not on corporate accounts.

There is no detail whatsoever about business (not corporate) accessing Visual Voicemail. The Optus staff I have been in contact with have stated it is only available to Corporate accounts.

There is no mention about some phone functionality ie Visual Voicemal not being available in the CIS from Optus for business plans either.

Unfortunately the "answer" appears to me to be disceptive and missleading.

Ketrinz
New Contributor
New Contributor

When I was young I never had electricity. I quite like it now. Visual voicemail is called technology. 

mPrime
New Contributor
New Contributor

Android does have the capacity for VVM. Don't deflect. Since your a volunteer, this isn't aimed at you, but Optus, you must be monitoring this. Give VVM to the people!

Techno
New Contributor
New Contributor

Totally agree, visual voicemail is a cool, useful and time saving feature offered by Apple years ago, I simply cannot believe Optus do not allow it, Vodafone do, TPG do Telste do, why? Optus is great in almost every other way but no visual voice mail, simply disappointing. Would love an official statement from Optus why they don’t offer it..

Tags (1)
Dan_C
Retired Employee
Retired Employee

@Techno, to be completely honest, I'm a fan of visual voicemail myself.

At this stage, it's something that's available to our business/enterprise customers.

As to why it's unavailable on consumer plans, I don't have a great answer for you. 

As always, we'll submit feedback and hope to hear back from product. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
mPrime
New Contributor
New Contributor

Don't forget to ask about it being available on products other than Apple!

0 Kudos