Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
For Australian Bushfire info please click here
Highlighted
New Contributor PhantomFoxx
New Contributor

Re: Visual Voicemail

I just recently switched all my services over from Telstra to Optus because I have just moved to a property that must be one of the few in Australia where there is no Telstra service but reasonable Optus coverage.  

I was amazed at the outdated, incredibly slow systems that Optus still use.  After activating my SIM it took days for their systems to actually create my account and then days to consolidate two accounts into one.  It seems incredible in 2015 that their batch updates or whatever they use are so incredibly slow.  It is not what customers today expect and they obviously need to update their technology.

That is reflected in their lack of VV as well.  Optus is definitely not an up to date company when it comes to technology!

Highlighted
New Contributor

And, thinking about my experience, one of the most frustrating things was the customer service reps I was talking to in the Phillipines or where ever they are telling me that this kind of experience is normal and, effectively, that my expectations of a more rapid service where not aligned with reality.  Maybe that is true with Optus, but competitive companies with modern systems and real-time or near real-time integration do provide much more rapid response times in their systems and to their customers and Optus should be making a bigger effort to do the same.

It sounds a lot like this issue around visual voicemail.  It sounds like Optus have for years been giving their customers asking for an up-to-date modern capability the brush off saying, "We've never had it. Maybe one day we will get it.  In the mean time make do with all these old, out-of-date capabilities we do have".

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor rgannell
New Contributor

I'm a little stunned to think that this still hasn't happened - Visual Voicemail blew my mind when I got my iPhone 4 at launch, 5 years ago! To think that it's a feature that even Vodafone had, what's Optus doing?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Moderator Marie

Happy to pass your feedback on rgannell

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor aendi
Occasional Contributor

I know this has been asked before, but is all this feedback actually being acted on in any significant way? Is it all getting filed in the 'unhappy about no visual voicemail' folder, never to be looked at again? 

I presume there is a roadmap for future feature releases, and yet no one will respond with whether visual voicemail is on the roadmap at all, if it is when its slated for, what obstacles there are to implementing it now, etc. These are not difficult questions. If it's not being considered please just say so. If it is being considered but there are some issues to work through, then say that, and be honest what the issues are. 

In this day and age, transparency from companies is paramount. Show some respect for your customers' intelligence and actually tell us what's going on.

Highlighted
New Contributor

Absolutely!!! I can't agree with aendi's comment more. Companies need to start realising that people talk to each other on social media and word does get out - just look at all the trouble Vodafone had a couple of years ago.  

Since switching to Optus a couple of months ago I am continually astounded at how primative the systems are in this company!!

The people are nice and friendly and, overall, I don't have a problem with that aspect of Optus, but their IT systems are ridiculously slow, out of date and complex.  Just the other day I got stuck in their voice prompt system trying to cancel an order for a prepaid SIM ordered on line.  The customer service people obviously couldn't even navigate their own system as I was continually directed to the wrong area or got to an area where they couldn't see information that I could see online.  I must have spoken to around 10 people all told and had to call back about 5 or 6 times due to getting lost/stuck in the voice prompt system or having calls hung up on me as they attempted to transfer me.  I was incredibly frustrated by the end of the experience which took me about half an hour instead of a couple of minutes.

All these IT related challenges are big marks against a global company like Optus.  If I didn't have to use them for my mobile due to there being no other company that can provide coverage where I am sure I would have switched to someone else by now!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
RetiredModerator Marcel
RetiredModerator

Hey aendi & PhantomFoxx, thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback, we really appreciate it! I can confirm your feedback is definitely looked into and not just filed away in some folder. The moment we have an update on anything, such as new offers or upgrades to our existing networks or systems we'll certainly let our customers know. The same goes for visual voice-mail, the moment we have an update we'll let all our customer know. Thanks for being patient though. 

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor aendi
Occasional Contributor

Hi Marcel, 

I don't mean to pick on you specifically, but we don't want an 'update', we want some basic questions answered about where this request sits in Optus's plans. What you and other reps have been saying for ages now is 'we're considering it and we'll let you know when we make a decision' - which could be next week or never, because you wont explain the process, the challenges, or any idea of timeline. 

Some honest answers you could give:

"It's going to cost $xx to implement and there are other priorities like this and that  that we feel are more important."

"In reality this is an issue that only x% of customers are dissatisfied with so it is not something we will be undertaking in the near future."

"This is currently in the planning stages, however more work needs to be done on managing the rollout because of challenges like xxx. We expect to be able to update our customers on the progress by this actual date." 

These are not difficult questions and the answers could be given in suitably non-committal, non-binding terms, but personally, the standard social media/PR platitudes aren't really cutting it.

I'm not trying to have a go at you, and I'm not mad, but the deliberate refusal to communicate honestly is quite frustrating.

Highlighted
New Contributor sarkapaw
New Contributor

I just transferred to Optus from VODAFONE and was astonished to discover that my much-loved visual voicemail was provided by the carrier, and not a feature on my phone.

Optus, what a joke! Vodafone have had this feature for years, and it's a fantastic feature. Why would you want to deny your customers such a helpful and convenient service???

I used to work as an telcommunications engineer, and I know for a fact that there is no decent reason (other than penny pinching) that this feature can't be enabled.

looking at the posts, it's very disappointing to realise that you have been giving the same vague, unsatisfying responses to your customers for what appears to be several years.

Had I known that, I would not have switched.

It just leaves a sour taste in your mouth.

Please get your act together or I am taking my business elsewhere as soon as my contract is over.

Highlighted
New Contributor bobben_1
New Contributor

Wow - well there doesn't seem like much point in writing this but figured i would just to vent my frustation.  Have just switched from Telstra on my phone and iiNet on my Internet and can't believe there is no VV.  That was a fundamental part of how i used my phone....so disappointing.  On the internet side, the modem is so sh*t it's a joke.  We've had to reboot it 5 times already in the 10 days we've had it.  I love how Optus sends out its Net Promotor Score question within a couple of days of having the service, cause that's when you're still on the "honeymoon" and a good chance of giving a 9 or 10.  Give it less than 2 weeks and there's no way you'd give a 9 or 10 - what a joke.  Glad I didn't answer my NPS question yet!!!  You'll be getting a 2 from me!