cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Virgin Mobile Transfer

My wife and I are currently looking to transfer from Virgin Mobile to Optus Mobile (we have to do this before Virgin Mobile 'expires' on 30 September!). We both currently have Virgin Mobile Prepaid Long Term Expiry Plans and we want to transfer to similar plans with Optus. As we have prepaid plans with Virgin Mobile we don't have an 'automatic transfer' of our plans to Optus (as we would under Virgin Mobile postpaid plans). I tried 'Optus Chat' for guidance but I was told that they couldn't help me directly as they only dealt with 'postpaid' not 'prepaid'!  We visited our local Optus store for assistance but the following questions still remain unanswered for us even after that visit.

• If we transfer to Optus for similar long term expiry plans as we had with Virgin Mobile do we get a credit with Optus on transfer for the prepaid balance we still have with Virgin Mobile?
  • Can we transfer from Virgin Mobile Long Expiry to Optus Long Expiry online or must we do it only at an Optus store?
  • If we transfer to Optus are we treated as a 'new starter' (given we would need an Optus sim to replace the Virgin Mobile one) or as a 'recharger' (given Optus is the carrier for Virgin Mobile)?
  • On the Optus website one of the 'Long Expiry Starter Kits' has an offer (valid until 28/9) of an Optus Prepaid 186 day Long Expiry for $15 (normally $40). Is this offer only available online?

Any help we can get on the above matters will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

James

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted

Re: Virgin Mobile Transfer

Hi Jamie, thank you for reaching out to us here. I'll be happy to answer any questions that you may have regarding transferring your Virgin mobile services to Optus. 

• If we transfer to Optus for similar long-term expiry plans as we had with Virgin Mobile do we get a credit with Optus on transfer for the prepaid balance we still have with Virgin Mobile?

If you port your mobile service over to us we are unable to transfer any existing prepaid credit from your previous service provider. 

• Can we transfer from Virgin Mobile Long Expiry to Optus Long Expiry online or must we do it only at an Optus store?

Both! It is totally up to you. You can request this yourself online. Otherwise, our friendly Retail Team will be happy to assist you with this process. Click below to access some support articles which provides you with a rundown of steps and FAQs:

- Switch your mobile phone number to Optus

- Porting your mobile number across to Optus? What you need to know.

• If we transfer to Optus are we treated as a 'new starter' (given we would need an Optus sim to replace the Virgin Mobile one) or as a 'recharger' (given Optus is the carrier for Virgin Mobile)?

Yes, since you are a Prepaid Customer. When you sign up to an Optus mobile service, we'll ask you if you'd like to keep your mobile number.

To protect you from unauthorised transfers/ports, an additional identity verification process is in place.

You'll receive a once-off verification code via SMS to the mobile number you wish to transfer over. You'll then need to provide the code back to us before we go ahead with the transfer.

If you're signing up online, you'll need to provide the code when prompted. 

• On the Optus website one of the 'Long Expiry Starter Kits' has an offer (valid until 28/9) of an Optus Prepaid 186 day Long Expiry for $15 (normally $40). Is this offer only available online?

Yes. This offer is only available online. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi Ness

Thanks very much for the information.

Re that part of my query regarding the Long Expiry Plans if we select an Optus plan online do we select the plans under the 'Starter Kits' or the 'Recharges' (as they seem to have different options)?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted

You're very welcome, @Jamie-2020

Since you are enquiring about porting your number over from a different service provider, please select an option under Starter Kits. Then during the checkout process, you'll be asked if you would like to keep your existing Virgin mobile number, after which you'll be prompted to provide the once-off verification code that we'll send to you via SMS.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@Ness_YC wrote:
  • If we transfer to Optus for similar long-term expiry plans as we had with Virgin Mobile do we get a credit with Optus on transfer for the prepaid balance we still have with Virgin Mobile?

If you port your mobile service over to us we are unable to transfer any existing prepaid credit from your previous service provider. 

@Jamie-2020 I suggest contacting Virgin about a partial refund. If that doesn't work I suggest asking the TIO what they think of that. As Virgin has not gone bankrupt (as far as I know), the brand is just being shut down, so I would expect that they would still be required to refund the difference if they are unable to continue to supply the service.

F.Y.I. Optus has fully owned Virgin since 2006.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi YetAnotherAcc (and Ness_YC)

Many thanks for your continued assistance in this matter.

The Virgin Mobile Phase Out FAQs https://www.virginmobile.com.au/support/virgin-mobile-brand-phase-out-faqs/ relate to postpaid plans but notwithstanding that I rang their number *****to see if I could also get advice on the prepaid plans. I was advised by Virgin Mobile that any refunds of outstanding balances for prepaid plans were not automatic and that Virgin Mobile should be contacted (at the above number?) when you port your number over to another provider (and that Virgin Mobile should be contacted on this point before the end of October). Also, in the Virgin Mobile postpaid FAQs above it says that a new sim is not required if you shift to Optus as your provider, however, I was advised by Virgin Mobile that for prepaid users a new Optus sim will be required if you transfer from Virgin Mobile prepaid to Optus prepaid.

Thanks again for your help.

0 Kudos