cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

VPN and unmetered data

Hey everyone!

Just has a quick question that I couldn’t seem to find an answer to. 

When using a VPN for work on my mobile let’s say. Will my unmetered data such as Spotify and Netflix still count towards unmetered data or will I be metered for that usage?

Regards,

Loki

Photobucket
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: VPN and unmetered data

I suspect not. A VPN essentially encrypts the transmission end to end (sort of the point) so there's presumably no way Optus knows what data you are using. But I could be wrong. IMO best thing is to confirm it yourself. pick a low data usage day. Check your usage levels on Optus. Reset your phone data counter. Then set Netflix to watch an hour or three (you don't have to watch it). Then the next day check the relative levels. 

Note that Optus will still show the data used in the daily breakdown (it just costs $0) its removed from the overall usage front page counter though.

Peter Gillespie

Highlighted

Re: VPN and unmetered data

Hey @Loki, if you're using a VPN, included streaming data won't be un-metered. As Peter mentioned, the VPN encrypts your specific activity, there's no way we can confirm what should be included with your plan. Check out our Mobile Streaming FAQs here 🙂

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Top Contributors