cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Jeremy-J
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Use new SIM while waiting for number to port?

Hi Community,

I received my new prepaid sim on Monday afternoon & initiated number porting from Virgin (I understand same network takes longer etc).

While I wait for the number to port can I make phone calls using the new sim without creating problems/ complexities with my account?

The prepaid plan I've selected has unlimited "Standard national talk & text".

Sorry if this has been asked before - I couldn't find it.

Thanks for your help!

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Dan_C
Retired Employee
Retired Employee

Re: Use new SIM while waiting for number to port?

Hi, Jeremy.

As you're probably already aware, our support teams are only handling critical enquiries.

If you're without a working mobile service i.e. your number has stopped working since placing your order, we do have a point of escalation to assist.

You can contact us on our general support number > 133973 and follow the prompts, or you'd prefer to wait for us to get back to you - try us on our Facebook or Twitter page.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Jeremy-J
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Dan,
I thought my question was quite simple - can I make phone calls using the new sim while I wait for the number to port - without creating problems.
0 Kudos
Dan_C
Retired Employee
Retired Employee

Ah, sorry. Simple answer - no. 

If your new SIM is an Optus SIM and the port hasn't come across. It's practically useless.

The old SIM from the losing provider may still be working. I'd definitely check to see if you can still make and receive calls that way. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Jeremy-J
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Ok, thanks Dan, I appreciate your fast reply.
0 Kudos
Dan_C
Retired Employee
Retired Employee

No problem! It's taking a while, but I'm trying to get back to everyone where I can.

Thanks for your understanding, really appreciate it! 

0 Kudos
Jeremy-J
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi @Dan_C 

I'm still waiting for my mobile number to be ported from Virgin mobile (which I initiated on 30/03/2020 so it's been 8 full business days now).

Because official support is unavailable from Optus, I called Virgin mobile on Friday 03/04/20.

They advised that they had not at that time received the porting request, but they expected it might be in that day's batch. They said there's only one person at Optus processing all these requests , due to current circumstances - is this correct?

Are you able to see where this is up to & if it can be completed soon?

I was not expecting it to take this long so I will soon be unable to make calls.

Or are you able to request a callback from Optus Staff on my behalf? Thanks

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Aron_YC

This is not something that we can provide a time frame on or arrange a callback for through the forum.   

Please contact Optus directly on 133 937 during these hours.

Hold the line, don't press 1, keep on the line follow the prompts and you'll reach the team who can action this for you.

If you don't want to call, you can message our Social Media Team via  Facebook or Twitter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

0 Kudos
Jeremy-J
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi @Aron_YC

Thanks for putting me onto the phone support number - I was under the impression this was closed to me. I'm trying to sort this out with technical support now.

0 Kudos
Top Contributors