Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Mobile Outage Northern NSW has now been resolved 2PM AEDT
Occasional Contributor Henryy
Occasional Contributor

Usage up 2000%

On the 5th of June my usage all of a sudden was 8.5 gig up from the usual 200 to 400 mb. I did download two files amounting to 1.5 gig max. This usage has resulted in me exceeding my allowance of 15 gig by 3 gig, which is the a first for me. I would like Optus to rectify this situation . In any case it’s difficult to use 8.5 gig in an hour. 

Hope to hear from you soon.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Usage up 2000%

Did you recieve any SMS about the usage?

Note that usage reports can be delayed 48 hours or more so there's a wide window where it could be downloaded.

What does your phone (iphone? Android?) say about the usage in its settings?

What does the optus app say the usage was on?

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Hi Peter, thanks for your reply.

I started with total usage of 9.6 gig for the month according the Optus app at about 16:30. At 16:48 I received a message that my total usage was 13.11 gig. I was downloading two files 413 mb and 663mb. At 16:58  another message total exceeding 15gig. At 17:12 the extra 1 gig was gone . At this stage I closed everything down as I got a bit worried. Ended up with total of 17.8. My iPad showed about the same usage even though I take more notice of Optus’ usage since I sometimes use the sport channel which is free generally. The iPad includes free data in the total and therefore is “incorrect”.

Optus does not give details about the 8.5 gig usage. As I said before that’s an awful lot for one hour. I don’t think my connection is that fast.

Thanks again

henry

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Its a frustrating area as Optus don't provide timely usage updates in some cases and of course no way to only get the data your plan allows you to (unless you're prepaid in which case Optus are acurate to the second and the kB)

You may not have downloaded the data in the hour your mention. Its quite possible it happened up to two days ago and Optus only got around to updating your usage when they did. Note that iPads are known for syncing large amounts of data so possibly something happened on another machine that your iPad tried to replicate (a folder got moved? New home movies?)

There should be some tools on your device to see what app is moving what data (Although Apple is equally reluctant to provide any usage limiting tools). Unfortunately your only real recourse is optus Direct and they rearely seem to acknowledge any error in their data calculations (rightly or wrongly)

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Hi Peter,

Seems also that the data updates get slower towards the end of the period enticing users to go over the limit. That's a different problem though.

You're right ,it's a waste of time to argue with providers about data usage. 

Thanks again for your time.

Henry

0 Kudos
Top Contributors