Searching...

Mobile

Usage data

USAOz

Why can I no longer downlaod my usage data during a billing perikod but before the bill is issued as I was able to do until 31 July 2017?

Why also can I not see ANY usage data since 22 Sep despite knowing there is some?

Basically the Optus IT guys have f**ked up big time and downgraded the service and will NOT listen to reason or respond to reasonable requests!  WHY?

Re: Usage data

petergdownload

You can view all your current data usage (and for previous bills) using the Optus App on your phone.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

USAOz

WRONG!

a) I can't see the usage dats right now for the current billing period and I USED to be asble to do that!

b) I can't copy/paste the current usage data (I USED to be able to do that prior to 31 July 2017, cumbersome as it was to do that, as Optus refuses to supply a downloadable .csv version of that data to put into a spreadsheet)

c) I can't nget that data off the bill at the end of the month either!

[ Edited ]
petergdownload

Steady on. No need to yell at people (and you just end up looking silly if you're wrong anyway)

I said you can view the current (and past for that matter) daily usage in the Optus app:

Screenshot_20170925-102651.png

The EOM bill shows the total data used for the month. The Optus App shows the running data for the month.

Its in a good format that almost all their customers would find accessible. I'd be interested why CSV files of data usage would be of much benefit over the information already provided.  FWIW Optus tend not to enter into discussions on data usage - you can tell them your phone was switched off for the entire month but if they have recorded data usage they'll tell you their figures are correct.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

USAOz

Not yelling.

csv format because it needs to be imported to a spreadsheet for data manipulation to allocate different calls/services to different categories for tax purposes and tracking casll/services useage.  The whys of this are of no concern to anyone but me, the Australian Taxation office and the United stgates Internal Revenue Service.

Suffice it to say that before the "upgrade" on 31 July I was at least able to copy/paste this data into a spreadsheet in a format close to what was required and with formulae/functions was able to extract the data from the string to enable manipulation.  The process was cumbersome but tolerable, although a downloadable csv file would have been better and easier.

Ther "upgraded" data, while it CAN be downloaded (if/whenever Optus system decides to allow it to be seen) may be in a visual format that may suit common users but is now a mess to download and manipulate with data inconsistently represented and in multiple cells.  I've tried creating the data in tables but the data format inconsistencies m ake that unreliable and messy, requiring time exceeeding 5x what I was able to do before the "upgrade"!

So I resperctfully TOTALLY disagree with your assessment of the situation.

Highlighted

[ Edited ]
petergdownload

Optus have always been pretty lame with tabulating their residential (we are talking residential?) billing info.

Not to give tax advice but you can just monitor your data usage for a four week period and use that as a reasonable basis for your return. As there is generally no record of how data is apportioned between work and individual use its a number with a fair bit of latitude. I'm not even sure how you can divy up use in a meaningfull manner between calls and data with current plan structure. eg.

Unlimited Calls and 10Gb per month for $40

So say you use the phone to make 50 business calls and 50 home calls and use it for 1Gb of work data and 5Gb of Netflix.

I'm curious how anyone can decide what proportion of the $40 should be work related? Any method is pretty arbitary and arrives at totally different results. There is also really no way to seperate work and personal usage on a modern phone. The phone is syncronising and updating personal (and work) data constantly. At best its just an educated guess that most of the data you used yesterday was for work. 

So perhaps just ignore the data component. Aportion out your calls over a (work intensive) month and claim the deduction?

But all that's not really the point I suppose Smiley Indifferent Optus seem to have gotten rid of a (by your own admission) pretty clunky feature and significanlty upgaded its accessibility elsewhere. You could look at a business account? Or just set your phone to monitor data usage each day - just like you need to keep a log book for driving a car around, maybe you need to jot down the phone stats at the end of each day? These are just suggested workarounds. Hopefully Optus will hear your request and provide the data you need again.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
107 Kudos
94 Kudos
83 Kudos
78 Kudos
42 Kudos