cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Upgrading recent my promo plus sim plan

Hello

I tried to get support through the optus site, but they either didn't understand or weren't of much help so I'm hoping someone else here can give me assistance. 

I recently signed up to a My Promo Plus sim only 12 month contract - $45 month but discounted down to $40.50 for black friday. It's inclusive of 50GB of data, and today I saw the $55/month plan (discounted to $41.25/month) for 80GB of data. In my CIS document it states the following:

"You can change your plan during your contract term to another
My Promo Plus 12-month SIM plan provided you move to a
plan with a higher monthly access fee. You cannot change your
plan during the contract term to a plan with the same or lower
monthly access fee. If you change your plan during your contract
term a fee may apply."

What I'm trying to figure out is, if I change to this new $41.25/month ($55) plan - since it's a higher value than mine, can I just upgrade to it without incurring an additional fee? Obviously I'd be paying an extra 75cents per month, but I wasn't able to get an answer on this question and was instead directed to a page with a $55/month for 25gb plan which wasn't helpful. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
17 Replies
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Re: Upgrading recent my promo plus sim plan

OMG I just asked the same question. I already upgraded from 35 to 45 (40 with disc) and they said that I will incur the charge but to call a number to reverse it. But now I want to upgrade to 55 (42 with discount) but don't want the hassle to having to sort out another fee reversal ... so annoying.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Might be a bit out of left field here but changing your current promo plan to that $40.50 might be a different plan group. You can only change to another My Promo Plus 12-month SIM plan of higher value if I understand that CIS correctly.

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the reply. That's what I thought, but both my current plan and the one I want to upgrade to are called "My Promo Plus" if you read the CIS documents. A bit annoying I can't get a straight answer out of Optus, but thanks for your help

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Blog Author

I replied back to a similar thread.

This enquiry seems to be popping up quite regularly 

https://yescrowd.optus.com.au/t5/Mobile/Increasing-My-promo-plus-plan-during-contract-period/m-p/512...

Find the plan code of your current rate plan on your Optus bill.

You can use that code to find the relevant CIS document. 

http://www.optus.com.au/shop/cis/Mobile?subGroup=Post+Paid+Mobile → shows each rate plan and the umbrella of plans they belong to. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for this reply, it's been more helpful! It does clarrify that both my current plan and the plan I want to upgrade are in the same plan code you refer to ("My Promo Plus 12M SIM (Oct 18)"). I just really am seeking clarification around the last bit in the CIS documentation regarding the change of plan which says "If you change your plan during your contract term a fee may apply"

I just can't get any info about what this is, and if I will get charged it even if I go up to a higher monthly plan?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Blog Author

Ah, no problem.

So, the same rate plan change rules always apply.

As long as you're moving up to a higher value rate plan, no fee applies.

If you decide to move down a tier, you'll be charged a termination fee. I hope that clears things up a bit. If you do have any other questions, shoot them through. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Yeah but good luck trying to grt that through the Sales team. I have tried twoce. First time they told me to ring back when I get a cancellation fee on my next bill and 2nd time they said you can't upgrade before 3 mths with current plan.

So in practice it doesn't work.

I have submitted a complaint. Still waiting for someone to call back.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Blog Author

@Q123

They've advised that you can change your plan, but they'll need to credit back any cancellation fees incurred? 

and 2nd time they said you can't upgrade before 3 mths with current plan.

I haven't heard that one before. I could go in and take a look at the account. I should be able to provide you with some guidance from there. I'll need you to send us a private message. I need your full name, DOB and mobile number. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I finally called yesterday as I was getting so much misinformation from different sources. They told me even if I upgrade to a higher access fee plan in the same plan group, I’d still get charged $240 for a cancelation fee

0 Kudos